turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Who has the right to claim my son me or his grandma?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We need more details.  Who does the child live with?  Why would his grandma claim the child?  Does he live with Grandma?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

We live with her. And I think she thinks it’s okay cause I let her claim him  last year but I never said she can claim him ever year. Its my kids I’m the one that Give brith to him and I support him. Yes we live with her for free . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

the child must
1) be the taxpayer's child, stepchild, eligible foster child or descendant of any of them such as a grandchild or brother, sister half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister or descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew, legally adopted child or place with the taxpayer for legal adoption
2) be any of the following a) under age 19 at the end of the year b) a full-time student and under age 24 at end of the year c) or any age if totally and permanently disabled
3) have the same principal abode as the taxpayer for more than ½ the tax year (183 nights).
4) the child hasn’t provided over ½ his support
5) No joint return with the exception for a joint return filed only to claim a refund of tax withheld when neither spouse is required to file and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if separate returns were filed
6) Not be a qualifying child of another taxpayer with a higher priority under the tie-breaker rules

so you would unless you can be claimed as a qualifying relative by your grandma 

1) meets the relationship test (same as 1 above) or lived in the taxpayers household for the entire calendar year
2) relative's gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
3) grandma provides over ½ your support

Manage cookies