Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Wheres' my refund it's been 4 months - no notes, no letters from IRS - "just being processed message" inquiry filed w/IRS - still waiting since Feb 1st.

I finally got through to the IRS and the guy told me they were working on mine and it should be finished within 5 days....10 days later and its still being processed. I think they're just telling people that theirs is being reviewed now. I filed 4 months ago. The last thing I want to hear is more lies from the irs. Where's my money!!!

sputt60

Wheres' my refund it's been 4 months - no notes, no letters from IRS - "just being processed message" inquiry filed w/IRS - still waiting since Feb 1st.

I properly filed my Federal Return on 6/6/2021 was rejected 8-times, once I was accepted, 7/16/2021 no deposit was ever placed into my Checking Account, Why?

If a payment is due, it should have been properly Off-Set before the Refund was posted. It is almost time to file for 2021 and I have not received nothing from Turbo Tax, IRS, or from IBC. I feel that my Federal Joint Return has be stolen, and Turbo Tax got $110.00 out of my account free, knowing a Deposit was and/or will not be deposited in my IBC Checking Account.  I received a letter from the IRS relating to my 2019 Return, explaining that needed Me and my Wife's Signatures on our 2019 1040 Tax Return. What the SAM HELL IS GOING ON when I filed my 2019 e-file. Now our 2020 Tax refund is lost in the system, why are we being charge 6th time with no results? 

@sputt60 Millions of people are waiting for their 2020 refunds--you are far from the only ones.   The IRS is severely backlogged, and many people have been waiting for months longer than you have waited.

It is not "almost time to file for 2021"----that is quite an exaggeration.   This is September.   The tax software for 2021 returns will not even be available until late November, and filing for 2021 will not begin until late January/February of 2022.

Rejections come from the IRS---so something caused the IRS to reject your e-file multiple times.  Sounds like you finally corrected the problem and the 2020 return was accepted in July.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

The IRS is backlogged —-they are still trying to process millions of 2019 returns; they received millions of e-files on the day they opened for 2020 returns, and now they are burdened with sending out another round of stimulus checks.   Congress changed the tax laws in the middle of the tax season so millions of returns need to be recalculated; and now on top of all that,  they have had to gear up to make monthly child tax credit payments.

Some delays are resulting from incorrect amounts that folks entered for stimulus checks they received.   Many people have been confused by the recovery rebate credit and completed it incorrectly.  The IRS may delay your refund while they cross-check to see what you received.  Some refunds are delayed because of the tax law changes that went into effect recently.   If your return has unemployment or the premium tax credit on it, that may be delaying it.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

You mentioned something about an "offset" without explaining that.   TurboTax never knows if you have an offset for back taxes, child support, etc. so nothing about an offset is ever factored into the refund you see on your return prepared using the software.  Only the IRS or your state knows about offsets to your refund, and the IRS or state deals with reducing refunds when you have an offset.

And why are you saying you are "being charged" a 6th time?   Please explain that.   Where are you seeing charges for six times?

And....you have not explained about your 2019 return.   You say that you received a letter from the IRS about your 2019 return because you did not sign the return----was that return filed by mail?   If so, the IRS would have returned it to you for a signature if you did not sign it in ink on the line that says "Sign here."   Then you would have had to sign it and mail it back to them.   That is a separate issue from whatever is going on with your 2020 return.  Provide more details about 2019 so we can help understand what is going on with that one.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm still waiting on my refund an accepted tax protection from Intuit an owe this website $120 that was supposed to come out off my refund but now they are wanting to take it out of my bank account!! Just had a baby 2 weeks ago plus I need to pay a fine or I'm going to be put in county jail. Feel %110 completely screwed! Irk what to do. If anyone can help me please text me at [phone number removed]?

sputt60

Let me explain, for one I have never had any tax issues, until I was forced to file online, through local tax services, who charges outrageous fees to file; including H&R Block.

Two, my AGI has been construed to cause my 2019 Tax Return to summon a $197.04 Tax Liability, because my prior (old) employer couldn't and wouldn't pay the Gross Amount they had to pay once they realized a considerable amount of Overtime revealed on my W2 for hourly work.

The above $197.04 and grown to $1001.00 from incurred interests, being that my 2019-2020 Taxable Wages wasn't off-setted in 4/2020 when it should had been on a supposedly $348.00 Refund in April of 2020, which was rejected when a refund amount revealed $3461.00.

Third, I never was audited or received any Notice from the IRS to make any efforts to correct this mishap or known why my AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) was; for some unknown reason, was not accurate and/or matched with my 2018 1040 Taxes while filing in 2019.

How was I to know my 2019 was not signed, when Me & My Wife filed e-file with a local Financial Company; specialized in Tax Filings, who later couldn't explain such error(s) when my Return was not mailed in? But, Rejected without notice.

When I was accepted by the IRS in June, the 16th, funny my State Tax Refund was posted, but my Federal Refund never was posted, even, 14-21 days later....... Nothing. I feel that my Federal Refund has been LOST or my Bank IBC; again, rejected the IRS Deposit that was scrutinized as a Tax Refund Fraud.

In either case, I have yet to receive my Federal Refund or any Stimulus Payments- 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th, and my Banks claims, they never received any Federal Deposit Notification of any.

In the coming weeks; if my Federal Refund is recovered, I think it would be wise to Open a new account, with a Debit Card and close out my Current Checking Account with IBC. Besides, I have not received a Bank Statement from them in over 4 Months, even though I have direct deposit Bi-weekly Pay-Periods from my current employer.

And; Last,  I think for security purposes, intuit-Turbo should enhance a security policy to verify (by phone, text or e-mail) deposit dates, bank deposit conformations, and IRS Correspondence to ensure proper deposits are made on specific notice dates in directed deposit accounts, by those given Bank Routing Numbers vs. Accounts being released.  Everett L. & Blenda L. Carr, Joint Tax Payers

@sputt60 By law, TurboTax cannot receive any information from the IRS return concerning a tax return or a tax refund once the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS.  Only the taxpayer(s) listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

Your issues are a bit confusing and I am having difficulty understanding what this has or do with Turbo Tax?   However, I suggest the following:

1. Check your routing numbers to make sure they correspond to your bank account

2. Write a letter to the IRS with a copy of your tax return.   Get the proper address on the IRS web site looking for "where to file"  and you will find the IRS address where your return was supposed to be filed if it was a paper return.  If you have a letter from the IRS use the address they tell you to respond to.

The story about 2019 does not seem to have anything to do with this.  It would seem that your employer under withheld taxes on your 2019 overtime and perhaps issued an amended w-2?  I assume 2019 is resolved and it would seem that instead of the refund you expected you had a tax liability for 2019.  As long as the tax withheld was correct on your w-2, there is nothing you can do about that. By 'correct" I mean the amount withheld was what the employer reported so that you did not pay more tax than they reported.  The withholding was determined by whatever information you provided your employer on your  W-4.  If you based your w-4 withholding on 2018 taxes and had a lot of extra income in 2019 from overtime, it is not improbable that your taxes were under withheld.   

@sputt60 I cannot understand what part of this--if any -- has to do with TurboTax.   Did you use TurboTax for your 2020 tax return?   Your post mentions some confusing information about a tax preparer that did not file your return correctly, and something about an unsigned return.   What tax year was that---and who prepared that return?    It sounds like you had some sort of confusion stemming from the way your 2019 income was reported by your employer.   If the employer made a mistake or issued a corrected W-2 (W-2C) then it was up to you to amend your return to report that corrected income document.

Then you mentioned stimulus payments you did not receive.   There have not been 4 stimulus payments.   There have been three EIP payments.   The first one was in 2020----eligible adults received $1200 and received $500 for their qualifying children under the age of 17.   The 2nd EIP payment was sent in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for eligible adults and $600 for their qualifying children under the age of 17.  The 3rd stimulus checks began in 2021 and were for $1400 for each eligible adult and $1400 for their dependents--with no age limit on the dependents for that one.   There has not been a 4th stimulus check.

The 1st and/or 2nd EIP payments could have been claimed on your 2020 tax return as a recovery rebate credit if you had not yet received them.   They would be shown on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040, and they are calculated into your total refund that is shown on line 35a.

There is no place to enter anything about the 3rd stimulus check on a 2020 return.  The IRS sends out that 3rd payment later on its own timetable.   You may end up having to get it on your 2021 tax return as a credit.

You are complaining about your bank not issuing statements. That is not a tax return issue.  That is an issue for you to resolve with your bank.   Perhaps you agreed without realizing it to go "paperless" with your bank and need to look online for statements.    TurboTax has nothing to do with your bank account.

You might want to change banks---that is up to you.   But do be aware that if the IRS sends your refund to a closed or incorrect bank account, the refund will be returned to the IRS.  Then the IRS issues a paper check and mails it to the address on your tax return.   You cannot change banking information with the IRS after you file your tax return.

It is not even clear that you used TurboTax.    But, after you file your tax return, TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS.   The IRS does not tell TurboTax when or even if they have sent your refund.   If you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that is handled by a third party bank.   The third party bank receives the refund first, extracts your fees, and deposits the rest in your account.   TurboTax does not touch your refund at all.

Your post is pretty confusing.   We hope you can get it all sorted out.   Here is some information that might be helpful.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

The IRS is issuing 3rd stimulus checks on its own timetable.

You can use the IRS Get My Payment site to see what is expected for your 3rd stimulus check:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

And... it seems like you are saying that your 2020 return was finally accepted in June 2021.   There are a LOT of delays for 2020 refunds, so you may be among millions who are simply still waiting for the severely backlogged IRS to process your 2020 return.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Pkass2021

I have ahead my accountant submit my taxes 5 months ago snd I have not received my refund

@Pkass2021 wrote:

I have ahead my accountant submit my taxes 5 months ago snd I have not received my refund

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review.  As of September 11, 2021, we had 8 million unprocessed individual returns.  Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

@Pkass2021 Your tax return was filed by an accountant?   What do you want from this user forum for users of TurboTax?    There are a lot of delays for 2020 refunds.  Millions of people are waiting.   

You can track your own refund if you know the refund amount from line 35a of your Form 1040.

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

ashgrey22

Trying to Reply to Donna G, but it seems I'm Posting a new Message and that's all it will let me do.  Anyway, thanks for your help, but I've called the IRS # for weeks and never gotten through, have used the trick you mentioned and it hangs up on me at the end, saying they have too many calls waiting. Our local IRS is closed, the nearest one is 100 miles and they don't take phone calls--only a number to set up an appointment.  Even TurboTax indicates I haven't filed, because I printed and mailed since you can't e-file 20 and 21, so I can't find a phone # for Turbo to call to ask a question.  I paid the $80 senior filing TurboTax dowload fee for the 1040 twice, one for each year.  I'm going to file 22 with TurboTax soon and will just hope for the best!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies