turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kyjetial
Returning Member

Where is the data i entered on previous drive saved?

My computer crashed before i finished my 2020 return.  I have reinstalled TurboTax but where can i find the data i have previously entered.??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You need the data file ending in .tax2020.  Hopefully you saved it and have a backup.  Search your computer for it.  Check the Recycle Bin or Trash.  Check in One Drive, etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Check your backups.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not clear whether you used TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software. The tag below your question says "TurboTax Online," but you said you "reinstalled TurboTax." You don't install TurboTax Online; you access it through your web browser.

If you used the CD/Download TurboTax software that you installed on your computer, the only copy of your data is on the hard drive of the computer that you used, and any backup copies that you made. TurboTax does not have a copy of it. If the file on the hard drive is not accessible, and you don't have a backup somewhere else, there is no way to retrieve the data. You have to start over from the beginning.

If you used TurboTax Online, the data that you entered is saved on TurboTax's servers, and was not affected by your computer crashing. Just sign in to TurboTax Online in your web browser, with the same user ID that you used before, and all your data will be there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies