turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where are tax files stored? If I get rid of this computer before next year how will Turbo tax find my records? Should I store them in Dropbox?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where are tax files stored? If I get rid of this computer before next year how will Turbo tax find my records? Should I store them in Dropbox?

If you use the CD or download TurboTax software, your tax files are stored wherever you save them on the computer that you use. In Windows the default location is the My Documents\TurboTax folder, but you could have saved them somewhere else. The tax returns data files for 2017 have the file name extension .tax2017. You might also have saved your tax return as a PDF.

You will want to copy your tax files to the new computer. You can copy them from the old computer to the new one before you discard the old computer. You can copy them to removable media such as a flash drive, CD, or external hard drive, or you can copy them to online ("cloud") storage such as Dropbox, then copy them to the new computer. Even when you are not changing computers, you should make backup copies of your tax files on external media in case of any problem with your computer. TurboTax does not have copies of your tax files when you use the CD or download software. The files are only on your own computer and any backup copies that you make.

View solution in original post

33 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you use the CD or download TurboTax software, your tax files are stored wherever you save them on the computer that you use. In Windows the default location is the My Documents\TurboTax folder, but you could have saved them somewhere else. The tax returns data files for 2017 have the file name extension .tax2017. You might also have saved your tax return as a PDF.

You will want to copy your tax files to the new computer. You can copy them from the old computer to the new one before you discard the old computer. You can copy them to removable media such as a flash drive, CD, or external hard drive, or you can copy them to online ("cloud") storage such as Dropbox, then copy them to the new computer. Even when you are not changing computers, you should make backup copies of your tax files on external media in case of any problem with your computer. TurboTax does not have copies of your tax files when you use the CD or download software. The files are only on your own computer and any backup copies that you make.

You are posting from desktop  software.  If you are going to change computers then back up all your important files on a CD or flash drive. I suggest printing paper copies of tax returns as well.  When you use desktop software your tax files are not stored online with TurboTax--they are only on your own hard drive or any backup device you used.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can I move the data files from c:\documents\turbotax to a removable drive, and use the Turbotax program on my computer while accessing the data files on the removable drive?

Yes ... you can move the files for safe keeping to a removable drive  however  the files must be moved back to the hard drive for use ... it will not work remotely.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

tax55
Returning Member

I have always used TurboTax CD and never uploaded my tax files. Looking at my tax return to file for this year, I see a "history" worksheet that has my past five years tax information!! I have a new computer and the software is also purchase this year.  So, the data could not possibly have come from my computer!!  How did TurboTax find this data!!  Have they been uploading my tax data without my knowledge and/or permission!!

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

When you use the .tax file, the previous tax year information is uploaded and transferred into the new year.  The information comes from the file on your computer, not from Intuit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tax55
Returning Member

Please note that I am not talking about last year taxes, but for the past five years which I do not have the data on my computer!! The computer is new and the Turbotax software  was installed from a CD that was purchased recently!!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

You can always access your transcripts from the IRS to get your tax info if needed. Help with obtaining these can be found by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tax55
Returning Member

Please not that I do not want my tax records. I just want to understand how Turbotax has access to my tax file history when I have always used Turbotax CD for preparing my tax returns and none of the files is stored on the present computer for 2020 tax return preparation.

Did you transfer from the .tax2019 file into 2020?  If you have been transferring from the prior year each new year, it brings over the history.  It's all in the same file.  

tax55
Returning Member

Thank you.  Please comment if TurboTax accesses and maintains a copy of the tax file, when e-file feature is used with CD version?

tax55
Returning Member

When e-filing with TurboTax CD, is it required to upload 1099-R's or any other form.  If so, how is it done?

Well you have to either import or manually enter your 1099R and forms.  It works the same way as the online version but you get more features.  You can do more than 1 return and see and enter into the actual forms.  And Desktop has a What-If worksheet.  

You can efile your return like from the online version or print and mail it.  

tax55
Returning Member

At what point does TurboTAx prompt me to upload my 1099?

thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies