Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where are tax files stored? If I get rid of this computer before next year how will Turbo tax find my records? Should I store them in Dropbox?

I'm confused.  You said you have been using the CD program in the past?  Then you have entered your W2s and 1099s into the program.  What do you need help with?  Did you get a different kind of 1099 this year?  What do you need to enter?  What version do you have!  Like Deluxe or Home & Business?

tax55
Returning Member

Where are tax files stored? If I get rid of this computer before next year how will Turbo tax find my records? Should I store them in Dropbox?

Thanks

tax55
Returning Member

Sorry for the confusion. I have been using TurboTax Premier for many years and have printed and mailed my returns, except for last year that a paid preparer e-filed my return (not with TurboTax). Now, this year, I am back to TurboTax Premier CD and have not filed yet. I just like to know what am I up against if I go the e-file route! Would it ask me to upload my 1099? At what point? And if so, how is it done?

Thanks

tax55
Returning Member

When I mailed my return, I was required to attach my W-2 and 1099’s! Now, if I e-File my return, how do I attach my 1099 forms? Or, attaching the forms is not required!

thanks

tax55
Returning Member

Thanks.

Ok.  No you do everything the same way as when you mailed it.  After you finish filling out your return and are ready to file you can efile or print and mail.  If you efile you will need to enter your 2019 AGI to verify yourself to the IRS.  

Turbo Tax won't see your return.  They just Transmit it to the IRS.  It isn't saved or stored online.  

But if you used someone else to do 2019 you know you won't be able to transfer from 2019 to start 2020. You will have to enter everything from scratch.

tax55
Returning Member

Last year, in parallel with the paid tax preparer, I also did my return in TurboTax, but did not file the TurboTax version. Now, I have my Premier TurboTax CD version almost done (waiting for TurboTax to update with Form 2210). At this point I am wondering if I e-file with TurboTax, do I need to attach 1099, and if so, will I be prompted to do so?

No you don't "attach" anything.  It's exactly the same way as print and mail.  But when you efile there is nothing to mail in and the IRS gets your return right away and processes it faster.  When you are ready to file just try Efiling and see how it goes.  

After you enter all your income and info, you go through the Review tab.  Then you go all the way through the File tab, through the 3 steps and hit the big orange Transmit Returns Now button.

You will need to enter your 2019 AGI to efile 2020.  If you didn't file a 2019 return or filed late in the year you enter 0 for the AGI.  If you are married and filed Joint last year you enter the same AGI for each of you.

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

In the Desktop program it is $20 to efile a state return or you can still print and mail state for free.  On March 1 the fee goes up to $25.  You need to pay the fee by credit card.  Or you can have it deducted from a federal refund but the charge a Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California).

tax55
Returning Member

Thank you so much!! So, there is no uploading and attachment of 1099 when I e-file? Please also talk me through State e-filing process and the payment process! If I choose pay by check, when and how do I get the vouchers to pay the taxes! Also, if I choose bank account transfer, how does it work? Both for Federal & State?!

I really appreciate and am Thankful for all your guidance and input.

Thanks again!

Just wait and ask when you get there.  Yes you can pay the tax due by check. You can print out the payment vouchers and any estimates payment slips you need.  It should be easy.  Just go slow though the File tab and read all the screens slowly and carefully.  Stop and ask if you get stuck.

tax55
Returning Member

When do I get prompted for State e-filing?!

Thanks

At the very end after you file federal.

tax55
Returning Member

Do I get prompted and a chance to print the vouchers or other payment method?!

Thanks again.

Yes but if you miss it you can always switch to Forms Mode and print out just the ones you want.  You said you have used the Desktop program before?  You should be familiar with all this.  When you are done you should be saving your whole return with all the worksheets as a pdf file.  Then you can print anything you need later.

tax55
Returning Member

When I save the PDF file, I do not have voucher for e-filing payment!! Is it because I am saving before e-filing?! Should I be saving the file after e-filing? Do I get a chance to print them with instructions of where to send them during the e-filing process?! Please walk me through it!
Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies