Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

What will happen if tax return is Amended but you don't mail it to IRS.

May I ask are you using the TurboTax Mobile app or TurboTax Online? If you are using the mobile app, you would need to sign into you TurboTax account from a browser.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

I've tried both. The website in my computer,  and through my phone using the app. But I can't see any cancel button 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

After investigating this further for you, I have been informed that since it's been accepted already, you would not be able to cancel or undo the amended return. If you need to make a correction to the amended return, it would essentially be another amended return to fix it back to where it was.

Thanks for answering. Can you please explain what do you mean by "another amended return to fix it back to where it was"?

Because I don't really need to mail it. What if I just don't do anything. Is that going to affect my California tax return?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can amend the return again, to return the return back where it was. 

But what should I write on it? And do I have to mail it? To who? I'm sorry, I'm so confused. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@brianvelapasillas Turbo Tax facilitates the processing of an amended tax return by providing IRS form 1040-X; just follow all the steps in the program and once you get to the end, you will be able to print out your paperwork and the IRS mailing information will also be included. The FAQ below serves as a reference:

Amending a tax return in Turbo Tax

Jennvic22
Returning Member

What happens if the federal was accepted but I never mailed anything in?

@Jennvic22 You have added on to an old thread and your question is not clear.   What did you do?   Did you amend your tax return and e-file the the amended return?   If you e-filed it and it was accepted you do not have to mail anything.   If you amended but did not e-file it  and did not mail it, then nothing happens since the amended return did not go anywhere.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jennvic22
Returning Member

I believe I e filed because it says accepted. But it also gave me a form to mail which is why I’m confused either way is this a reason I didn’t get my child tax credits? Is there anyway to disregard the amended  one that’s already been accepted?

Logansmomma30
Returning Member

I am wondering the same thing .same scenario . Never recievd the child tax credits either.. I didn't need to amend my return after all and I need to cancel it. 

@Logansmomma30 There are multiple posts from multiple users in this thread.  We do not know what "same thing" you are referring to. 

"I didn't need to amend my return after all and I need to cancel it...."

If you already sent in an amended return you cannot cancel it.   You have to wait for it to be processed, which takes six months or more.   Did you already e-file or mail in a Form 1040X?  If you did either of those things you cannot cancel it.

If you have an amended return pending in the system, it does affect your eligibility for the monthly child tax credits.   If you do not receive those monthly payments this year you can get the CTC on your 2021 return when you prepare and file it in 2022.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ccaaway0

Will you be able to get your refund though you didnt send the amended tax return?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

Ccaaway0

I already filed my taxes. I accidentally amend it to see if i did something wrong but  it says i need to mail it but i dont like to mail it. I didnt change anything anyways  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies