Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mariay66

Dont have 2017 tax return forms

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you don't have your 2017 tax forms, but want to find your prior AGI to e-file your 2018 taxes, here is how to get them:

If you prepared in TurboTax Online, here is how to access your prior return:

1.       Make sure you’re signed in to your TurboTax account.

2.       Select Tax Home from the left menu.

3.       Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select 2017.

4.       Select View adjusted gross Income (AGI)

If you prepared your tax return in TurboTax CD/Download, it should be saved on your computer.

If you prepared your tax return through other software, you can request a transcript from the IRS. 

Follow this link: Get a Transcript

If you filed your tax return after October, 2018, use $0.

For more information, including a picture reference, follow this link: How to Find Last Year's AGI

Once you have access, it is a good idea to print and save a copy for your records. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

If you don't have your 2017 tax forms, but want to find your prior AGI to e-file your 2018 taxes, here is how to get them:

If you prepared in TurboTax Online, here is how to access your prior return:

1.       Make sure you’re signed in to your TurboTax account.

2.       Select Tax Home from the left menu.

3.       Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select 2017.

4.       Select View adjusted gross Income (AGI)

If you prepared your tax return in TurboTax CD/Download, it should be saved on your computer.

If you prepared your tax return through other software, you can request a transcript from the IRS. 

Follow this link: Get a Transcript

If you filed your tax return after October, 2018, use $0.

For more information, including a picture reference, follow this link: How to Find Last Year's AGI

Once you have access, it is a good idea to print and save a copy for your records. 
mariay66

Did not file with turbotax last year. I just want to know if I didn't sign a file can I go to a tax place and get my taxes done?

Yes, you can still have your 2017 taxes prepared. You can even use a TurboTax product. Here is the link for our available products: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...>
mariay66

Can't get it, can I just go somewhere else to get my taxes done that's all I want to know
mariay66

I just want to go somewhere can I, need to know

Yes, if you cannot download 2017, you can have your 2017 taxes prepared somewhere else
mariay66

It's my 2018 I'm try to file but when I tried to sign and file it want my 2017 information, so I didn't sign a file so your saying I'm ok right to go somewhere else

Even if you didn't prepare your 2017 tax return in TurboTax, did you prepare one at all?
mariay66

Yes I did

Then you can still request a tax transcript from the IRS the above link to get your 2017 tax information or you can go somewhere else to prepare your tax returns.  

I need to import this w-2 for 2017 just realized it says 2018 how can I change it to 2017 

@Shilincia07 Importing a 2017 W-2 is not possible using TurboTax since the TurboTax partners which provide W-2's only have tax year 2018 forms available.  You would need to get a copy of the 2017 W-2 from your employer.

The TurboTax online editions are only for tax year 2018.

If you choose to use TurboTax to complete and file a 2017 tax return then you will need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2017 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2017 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

@Shilincia07 If you are trying to enter a 2017 W-2 then you had better not be trying to use the current online software.  The online program is ONLY for a 2018 tax return.  If you put 2017 income into the 2018 program you will be making a huge mistake.  You cannot change the online software to use it for 2017.

Income from 2017 can only be reported on a 2017 tax return, using the 2017 software on 2017 tax forms.  As DoninGA already told you, you will not be able to import a 2017 W-2, no matter what software you are using.  It is too late to import a 2017 W-2, so you will have to try getting a copy from the employer who issued it if you lost your copy.

If you need to prepare a 2017 tax return:

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies