turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

renaesch

I went into Where's My Refund and the status bar was gone, and the message said We are still processing your return we will give you a date soon. Should I be concerned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I went into Where's My Refund and the status bar was gone, and the message said We are still processing your return we will give you a date soon. Should I be concerned?

The situation you describe seems perfectly normal, and we certainly don't think that you should be especially concerned, in the absence of any additional information or circumstances beyond which you mention in your question.  Please allow us to explain.

While we at TurboTax have no way of finding out specific information about the processing of an individual tax return once it's been transmitted to the government, the activity (and timeframe) you describe gives absolutely no reason to think that you're under review, or that something is wrong with your tax return, so please don't worry or be concerned at this point.

In fact, the messages and bars on the Where's My Refund webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously, or the bars disappear entirely.  If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should plainly indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed any message like that, have you?)

Not all tax returns are identical either, and so they move through the IRS processing system at various speeds.  Thus, one taxpayer's experience may not be reflective or indicative of another taxpayer's experience.

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported self-employment income data with that separately reported to the IRS by another entity filing Form 1099-MISC); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best recommended course of action is continued patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).

Thank you for expressing your concern, and for asking this question.

View solution in original post

576 Replies
GeoffreyG

The situation you describe seems perfectly normal, and we certainly don't think that you should be especially concerned, in the absence of any additional information or circumstances beyond which you mention in your question.  Please allow us to explain.

While we at TurboTax have no way of finding out specific information about the processing of an individual tax return once it's been transmitted to the government, the activity (and timeframe) you describe gives absolutely no reason to think that you're under review, or that something is wrong with your tax return, so please don't worry or be concerned at this point.

In fact, the messages and bars on the Where's My Refund webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously, or the bars disappear entirely.  If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should plainly indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed any message like that, have you?)

Not all tax returns are identical either, and so they move through the IRS processing system at various speeds.  Thus, one taxpayer's experience may not be reflective or indicative of another taxpayer's experience.

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported self-employment income data with that separately reported to the IRS by another entity filing Form 1099-MISC); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best recommended course of action is continued patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).

Thank you for expressing your concern, and for asking this question.
go4denise

I filed on 1/29/18 and it was accepted by the IRS on 1/29/18. Up until 2/15/18, the bars on WMR were still showing. on 2/16/18, the bars disappeared and I had a message saying, "Your refund is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." 

I called the IRS on 2/20/18 and was told my account was pulled for further review and to wait for a letter from them stating as such. They couldn't tell me why or what I could do. Just that I would receive a letter within 45 days. WMR still shows me the same, "Still being processed" message and makes no mention of having been pulled for additional review. 

If I were you, I would call and figure out what's going on instead of just waiting for the bars on WMR to reappear. 

mslindo15

Had the same issue I’m basically under review but i had to call to find this out because it was 21 days smh. Told the same thing but I’m turn that’s 2 months that you could be waiting horribleb

• I was worried that my refund was going to be delayed because all 3 of the status bars disappeared on WHERE'S MY REFUND and everytime I checked it Only displayed (your refund is still being processed and a date will appear when available) it displayed the same exact message for approximately 5 weeks!! So the moral of the story is the IRS is taking longer than usual in 2019 so just just have patience and Pray that it comes sooner than later I was in your shoes Yesterday Googling trying to see what was the reason...now I know and wanted to let you know this is not bad news!!!

Hello

i was  in to see where’s my refund,  we finaled married Jointly.  Under my ss number there was a bar and it was red ???? Said it was still being processed,  I looked under my husbands ss however there was no bar , just said was still being processed?   I am really confused? Can anyone tell me if the red bar means it is being held

When you look up your return on the IRS site you will ONLY look it up under the primary taxpayers SS# ... the spouse will have no information.  And the message of processing the return is normal ... once accepted for processing it will continue to process until the refund is approved for dispersal or it is pulled for a review or audit.  Be patient and look for the progress once a day. 

Did u end up getting ur refund or a ddd

I'm concerned just a little Because of the status and it's really giving me no leads. But I filed single around January 27th. I have already received the Walmart Card that  the money will be transferred to once it arrives at Walmart. I was just hoping maybe you'll could give me a better up date. A few days ago it was saying it has been received and accepted or something. It could be in rotation and progressing as I complain about this matter

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS Where's My Refund link has been having problems for the last few hours. TurboTax does not have a way to know when it will be fixed.  Please click this IRS link to learn how to speak to a live agent for any questions that you may have on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

On Jan 27th 2020 turbo tax said it was accepted by irs

Went to irs where my refund and NO status bar. Nothing. Typed in the proper info twice but said it can't provide any info .

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS Where's My Refund link has been having problems. TurboTax does not have a way to know when it will be fixed.  Please click this TurboTax Help link to learn how to speak to a live agent for any questions that you may have on your return. 

Hi Teruko, 

How do you know the site is having problems? Is there an article somewhere that confirms this??

My situation is my return showed up as pending a few days ago, I got a notification that it was accepted, I went to check the IRS site and now it's telling me my return can't be found with my information (the same information that showed it as pending just two days ago). Worried that something broke and my return needs to be refiled now..

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@typhoonsusie Once your return status moves from pending to accepted, allow at least 24 hours before tracking your refund status on the IRS' Where's My Refund siteSource:  Why doesn't the government have any record of my p ...

My return was accepted last Thursday morning. It's been nearly a week.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies