turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

contifam

How do I delete the icon from my desktop after I've filed my taxes? right click and delete doesn't work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Carlithia

How do I delete the icon from my desktop after I've filed my taxes? right click and delete doesn't work?

You would have to uninstall TurboTax. Please see TurboTax FAQ on how to uninstall TurboTax.https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300061 https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301991

The question is about how the icon (i.e. shortcut) on the Windows desktop can be removed, not how can the TurboTax application be uninstalled. I have the same question and just installed TurboTax.

I do not keep anything but temporary items on my desktop. Most application installers ask whether a shortcut to the application should be created on the desktop when the application is installed and I choose to not have a shortcut created. However, the TurboTax installer does not provide that option.

Now, it may not be difficult to delete the shortcut from the desktop when logged in with an administrator-enabled account (though this question and other similar questions on the Internet indicate otherwise), but I have a separate administrator account I use for various administrative needs while I normally log in and use an account without administrator privileges. When installing, TurboTax asks for and I provide credentials for administrative privileges. Those privileges are not enabled when I try to remove the shortcut created on the desktop. Moreover, running "\Windows\explorer.exe" with administrator privileges might work, but I can't find the TurboTax shortcut in my account's Desktop folder, the default user's Desktop folder, or in my administrative account's Desktop folder.

So, how can I delete the TurboTax icon from my Windows 10 desktop?

My solution for now:

FInd the shortcut the installer created in "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop", right-click and select "Delete" with the shield icon next to it, and provide the administrator password when prompted.
mikefrary

I second this!
samabous

Has there been an answer to this that works?

I do not want a shortcut on my desktop, how can it be removed?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If right clicking the desktop icon, then deleting it from there won't work, try going to the file explorer on your taskbar, select desktop and try to remove the icon from there. If that fails, you may have to uninstall TurboTax to remove the desktop icon.

Uninstall TurboTax for Windows - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
swc

I right-clicked on the icon, went to open file location, and deleted it from there. Nothing else seemed to work.

I have a separate administrator account I use for various administrative duties while I normally log in and use a separate account without administrator privileges. As such, I logged into my administrator account, clicked on the TurboTax icon, clicked delete and it worked.  The TurboTax icon is no long on my desktop in the administrative account or my separate account. 

jbplano

As Administrator, find the shortcut the installer created in "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop", right-click and select Properties, Security, Interactive -- check any unchecked boxes, Apply. You should now be able to delete the shortcut from "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop" and make it disappear from your desktop. 

Bothered
Returning Member

Others have stated how to delete but others missed it.  Here is the fastest way to delete.   (from PC, not sure about Apple)

Right click the shortcut

Select "Open File Location"

Right Click the Shortcut

Select Delete

Enter the Admin password

Note:  Other such shortcuts (mostly anti-virus) allow deleting from the desktop by selecting and pressing the delete key or Right click and then delete.

Two questions to ask.

Why is Intuit requiring administrators permission to delete a shortcut created while installing their application.

I must have provided the Admin Password *WITHOUT THINKING* but why would Intuit need my Admin Password for an application.

From now on, if I use any Intuit software again, it will be installed on a clean (no system with financial, medical, legal, etc. information on it) computer.

This is not the first time they became invasive.  I quit registering my software after the first time. Now, I don't know.  Given the political climate I'm nervous about their intent.

I just put mine in the trash.  

Or I have a folder on my desktop for all shortcuts not currently in use ... good way to clean it up without getting rid of anything. 

👍Thanks!  This one worked for me.

from SWC

"I right-clicked on the icon, went to open file location, and deleted it from there. Nothing else seemed to work."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies