The IRS "Where's My Refund" said "Check was being mailed", even though I asked for a direct deposit. Never had a problem in past years. Anyone else seeing this problem?

kkant

I e-filed with turbotax in January, and finally last Friday Feb 19 2016 the IRS "Where's My Refund" page said "Refund Sent". Only problem is, it said a "Check was being mailed". I asked for a direct deposit. Never had a problem in past years with the direct deposit. Anyone else seeing this problem?

The IRS can choose to mail a check instead of honoring the direct deposit for any reason.   This can happen if your DD information is incorrect or as part of the new Anti Fraud systems put in place this year. 

jnsmom

This just happened to me as well.  Refund was finally approved after 21 days and now says scheduled to be mailed by next week.  I asked for DD and all my info was correct.  How long did it take for you to receive your check via mail?  This is extremely upsetting. 

heather6

Have you received your check?
lorinda25-

Happened to me for 2017 return.  DDA and routing was CORRECT and yet they still sent via a check.  Nice way for the government to earn the float on my money. An IRS rep said this sometimes happens if you press a space or enter in the DDA or ACH field on turbo tax.  The IRS picks this up as valid data and it nullifies it being accurate......grrrrrr
apc2080

after I put in my bank info on irs get my payment website on apr 15th after couple days now it show they will mail a check on april 24 2020 to my address on file , why? then why they made this website for people to put in bank info?

Ceasley0

I just checked my also, everything I put in was correct! I checked over and over to make sure I put it in correctly. Not happy about this at all. 

Croissant1

I gave my bank accòunt information on my tax form. Why does it says they are mailing it out?

MichelleLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Only the IRS can provide that information. If there was an error in your routing or bank account number or the bank rejected the deposit, then that would cause the IRS to mail your refund check. Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for information on contacting the IRS:
How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@Croissant1