turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkant

The IRS "Where's My Refund" said "Check was being mailed", even though I asked for a direct deposit. Never had a problem in past years. Anyone else seeing this problem?

I e-filed with turbotax in January, and finally last Friday Feb 19 2016 the IRS "Where's My Refund" page said "Refund Sent". Only problem is, it said a "Check was being mailed". I asked for a direct deposit. Never had a problem in past years with the direct deposit. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

The IRS "Where's My Refund" said "Check was being mailed", even though I asked for a direct deposit. Never had a problem in past years. Anyone else seeing this problem?

The IRS can choose to mail a check instead of honoring the direct deposit for any reason.   This can happen if your DD information is incorrect or as part of the new Anti Fraud systems put in place this year. 

jnsmom

This just happened to me as well.  Refund was finally approved after 21 days and now says scheduled to be mailed by next week.  I asked for DD and all my info was correct.  How long did it take for you to receive your check via mail?  This is extremely upsetting. 

heather6

Have you received your check?

Happened to me for 2017 return.  DDA and routing was CORRECT and yet they still sent via a check.  Nice way for the government to earn the float on my money. An IRS rep said this sometimes happens if you press a space or enter in the DDA or ACH field on turbo tax.  The IRS picks this up as valid data and it nullifies it being accurate......grrrrrr
apc2080

after I put in my bank info on irs get my payment website on apr 15th after couple days now it show they will mail a check on april 24 2020 to my address on file , why? then why they made this website for people to put in bank info?

I just checked my also, everything I put in was correct! I checked over and over to make sure I put it in correctly. Not happy about this at all. 

Croissant1
Returning Member

I gave my bank accòunt information on my tax form. Why does it says they are mailing it out?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Only the IRS can provide that information. If there was an error in your routing or bank account number or the bank rejected the deposit, then that would cause the IRS to mail your refund check. Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for information on contacting the IRS:
How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@Croissant1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just happened to me for 2021 taxes.  I thought some scammer hijacked my account.   Used the same bank info for 4+ years and now IRS doesn't like it ?  I will post an update once I get the letter. (or not)

Kgipson09

Did you ever get the check and the letter? 

There may be a dollar limit to direct deposit, either form the IRS or by your bank.

I've literally had my refund DD into the same account for over decade. This is the FIRST time this has ever happened. Unfortunately due to this, my son and I will not be able to take our annual spring break trip... I count on those funds annually for our trip. This is heart breaking. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@DeLovely 

If you included your direct deposit information and for whatever reason, the deposit is sent back to the IRS, they will then send a check. This is something we don't have control over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Actually the ENTIRE situation was weird this year. My state refund was issued almost immediately, however, my federal return didn't have a status besides received until "mid to late February," to due changes in the "Child tax Credit." Like this year with the IRS was a complete anomaly. Then once the refund was approved it said mailing. Personally I don't feel comfortable receiving that check by mail, which is why I've been doing DD for over a decade. Can you provide insight to why they delayed the processing of payments due to the PATH I believe Bill?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies