Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i know if a letter 4883c is legitimate

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AustinTS

The Irs received your federal income tax return, but needs more information to verify your identity in order to process your tax return accurately. The contact information below is only for taxpayers who received Letter 4883C.

What you must do
  • Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number at 800-830-5084.
  • Have a copy of the 4883C letter you received, a copy of your prior year tax return (if you filed one) and your most recently filed tax return (if you filed one), as well as any supporting documentation for each years return (such as W-2’s, 1099’s, Schedule C, Schedule F, etc.) when you call
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-4883c-letter

I received form 4883c, but when I call the irs hotline I get a message to call back another time , so far this has been an every day occurrence.Please help me!

@katluvr542 wrote:

I received form 4883c, but when I call the irs hotline I get a message to call back another time , so far this has been an every day occurrence.Please help me!

Try the IRS main number -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Try calling early in the day or late   OR   make an appointment at your local IRS office ...

See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

<<Try calling early in the day or late >>

the Inspector General's report stated that while hold times are much improved from last year, the IRS hasn't figured out how to match their employee on the phones with the ebb and flow of the call volume.   As a result, there are agent waiting to take calls early and late in the day, while there is a backlog of calls in the middle of the day.

Another trick - and this goes for ALL 800- number  call centers  - avoid Mondays.....absentism tends to be higher and calls backlog as there are not enough employees to answer the phones

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies