Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I attach an explanatory statement to my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
DeniseF1

There is no way to add a statement to your tax return electronically.  In order to include a statement with your tax return, you will have to mail the return.  You cannot efile.

Good answer // Poor program at this advanced / matured software, TurboTax  should have this capability.  No excuses.

The IRS doe not accept electronically attached statements in most cases anyway

Unless it is a required statement, the IRS doesn't read them even if you mail it.

TurboTax does ask for statements when the IRS requires a statement.

Even an mailed return is entered into the electronic system by data entry clerks.  Attached statements are just ignored since there is no place to enter them.   They will be filed away with the paper return and nobody will ever see them.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Actually, you probably can.  (In Home and Business)  go to the forms tab, then "open form".   Next screen, type in "explanation stm" and search.    Open one of the explanation statement forms that comes up.  The forms are pre-filled BUT you can right click on any pre-filled box, pick override, and then and type in whatever you want. Your new info will show in red indicating you have overridden what hat there before. The statement is supposed to e-file with the rest of your return (and no, I have not tried it yet).   

@tdicomes - It will not be a part of an e-file tax return  if it is not one of the required IRS statements.     To be a statement the 1040 form or schedule must have "STMT" next to it and that can only happen if that tax return  line supports e-filed statements, if it does the  the interview for that line will ask for a statement.

It is the "STMT" next to lines that can have a statement that triggers the IRS computer to flag the return so a human can read the statement, otherwise it will just be computer processed and no human will ever see it.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Macuser_22, Thank you very for that very helpful reply.

Follow-up question: two of the lines I had to adjust had the statement option, which I used. According to the help section, I need to submit statements for a couple of other of lines, but those lines don't apparently support it. If I understand you, my return's going to get flagged because of the two statements it did require, so if I added and edited two more statements wouldn't all 4  be transmitted and read by a human? Or are you saying that my workaround, edited statements won't even get transmitted?

I appreciate your help and expertise. Somebody remind me never to do another deceased person's return since you have to edit and explain darn near every item!

@macuser_22: see above. Sorry, I didn't tag you correctly.

@tdicomes  - No, I don't think it will be sent, but that should be a moot point anyway since you cannot e-file a tax return  for a deceased persona anyway, unless it is a joint return  you are filing joint with a deceased spouse that passed in 2018 - anyone else is required to sign the tax return "for the deceased name with your name as personal representative".   If you are the appointed personal representative also attach the document that appointed you personal representative to a mailed tax return.

You cannot sign a e-filed return as personal representative as required- that can only be done on paper with an ink signature.

I suggest that you read IRS Pub 559 (Survivors, Executors, and Administrators) for a lot of good information about filing the final return and estate return and other requirements.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf</a>

@macuser_22:  Yup you are absolutely correct. TurboTax says you can file a deceased person's return, but you're right that I must send them my court order showing me as the personal rep, which I can't do by efile. I totally forgot about that during the course of this Q&A.Thanks for getting me back on track!

So, if the IRS allegedly does NOT read explanations, how do I tell it that I've had just a "few" health issues that delayed me?

@KlisterKid wrote:

So, if the IRS allegedly does NOT read explanations, how do I tell it that I've had just a "few" health issues that delayed me?

You don't.   If you owe tax and did not pay but the due date if the return then the IRS is required by tax law to bill you for interest until they receive your payment.   There can also be a late filing penalty if you did not file for an extension.  The tax law does not care about the reason.  The IRS can waive the late filing penalty with a reasonable explanation, but the time to give that explanation is when yiu get the bill for the penalty and it will include instructions how to dispute  it with a special address to send it.

If you are getting a refund then  there is no penalty for filing late and no explanation is necessary.

nsha

In forms view, I found attach a miscellaneous statement.  Hopefully that works!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies