Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I attach an explanatory statement to my return?

@nsha You posted to an old thread that has had no activity for at least a year.   We do not know what you are trying to do in Forms mode.   Please explain.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Agree- it should be very simple to add blank statements and have the taxpayer add elections, reasonable cause statements or other statements. The accounting firms use software such as GO Systems and they allow you to attach PDF statements and efile the return and the statements. Let’s go Intuit, U have used this software for 20 plus years- you can do it!! 

I tried it after being on the phone with TT for 90 minutes. TT reports the changes as errors. I agree with the others, this is not acceptable since the IRS specifically says a binary attachment with description containing "ACA Explanation" must be present in my return.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you enter Form 1095-A, that will automatically generate Form 8962 then you won't need to attach a binary statement. 

How to correct an electronically filed return rejected for a missing Form 8962

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, Michell. My problem is that I don't have any 1095-A since my spouse and I were covered by our employees. However, my return is being rejected since I haven't included any 1095-A data. The rejection e-mail says "F8962-070 - The e-File database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing "ACA Explanation" must be present in the return."

Thanks!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you've confirmed that no one on your return had insurance through the Marketplace for tax year 2022, but the IRS mistakenly thinks they did, it’s OK to create a Form 1095-A with minimal information in it to satisfy the IRS for e-file purposes. If you use this method, and it contradicts what the Marketplace has on record, then you may receive a CP2000 Notice from the IRS. 

Follow these instructions: 

1. Select Federal from the left menu, then Deductions & Credits 
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Select Show More 
  3. Select Start or Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) 
  4. As you walk through the questions, you'll be asked if you received a 1095-A. Even if you didn’t receive this form, select Yes 
  5. Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier, policy number, and $1 for the January amounts. 
  6. Continue through to the end of the questionnaire. 
  7. Select File from the left menu and continue through the process to refile your return. 

This article may be helpful for additional information: How do I fix e-file reject F8962-070? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies