Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mya44

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If i got a letter from IRS 4464 c what did I do wrong to receive this letter

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LisaBr

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If i got a letter from IRS 4464 c what did I do wrong to receive this letter

The IRS sends these letters out to verify identity and reduce fraud.  It does not mean that you have done anything wrong.  The IRS is being very diligent in trying to protect individuals and their identities. 

The IRS Integrity and Verification Operations IVO group is delaying a number of taxpayer refunds to screen for identity theft and refund fraud.

Taxpayers identified by the program may receive a 4464C letter from the IVO stating that their tax return is being thoroughly reviewed so that the IRS can ensure the accuracy of return information. The letter states that the IRS may contact the taxpayer or third parties for further information and that if the taxpayer does not hear from the IRS or receive his or her refund within 60 days from the date of the letter, the taxpayer may contact the IRS directly. Once the IRS has completed its review, it may send a full or partial refund or no refund. Whatever the decision, the taxpayer can appeal it.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit.  Both the IRS and the Department of Justice DOJ Tax Division have increased their efforts to combat stolen identity refund fraud.

[From:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2711846-i-also-got-a-4464c-letter-from-the-irs-my-return-was-a-sim...]

I recently received the letter referring to 4464c but I have received 4 of these letters all identical but different dates why so many what does this mean??

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It means the IRS has pulled your return for review but it is not an audit.They are verifying the information reported on your tax return and matching documents they received from payers such as employers, banks and others.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Taranova_

I have also gotten the exact same letter 4 times with different dates on it with the latest being 2/24/2020. I’m so confused on what I’m supposed to do. 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

This letter just means that the IRS has pulled your tax return in order to compare the information that was reported on your tax return matches what organizations have sent in or your behalf (payroll departments, banks, etc).

I received one of these letters in the mail yesterday, but then my return was in my account today. Do I need to do anything?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

@megalou0710, if you were issued your refund, then you should be fine. I would just keep an eye on your mail to make sure you do not receive any other correspondence from the IRS. If you do, be sure to provide any information they request to ensure you remain in compliance. When in doubt, the best thing you can do is call the IRS directly to make sure nothing else is needed. 

I received that letter on 2/14, it's now 4/14 and I have not heard anything from anybody. No status update or anything. I cannot contact the IRS right now because of the Covid-19 issues. What should I do? I'm expecting quite a bit back...

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions in the link below for help with your letter.

TurboTax Audit Support Center   

Please contact the IRS if you require additional assistance once they are fully operational.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS ...

Mine is the same only I recieved the same letter 4 times and mine still says processing but yet the letter says 60 days and it's been over that and still nothing no call no other letters so what can a person do they wont let you talk to nobody because of covid-19 so how do you get your refund??

I tried contacting them they wont let you talk to anyone right now but I have not received any refund at all I filed January 18th and it was accepted on January 27 and has been processing then on feburary 12 I received the letter and 3 more exact same letters after that and still no refund. So now what the letter states it's not an audit so what is it they not requested any additional information so what can I do 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Here are links where you can learn more:

IRS Notice or Letter

Turbo Tax Audit Support Center

COVID has things disrupted. If it is causing an economic hardship, you can try Taxpayer Advocate. See Local Taxpayer Advocate.

Valerie 611
Returning Member

Wondering why r the IRS sending the same letter 4464c twice or more ..why doing that way too much ??? Does not make sense ..i understand perfect well that they r protect us from fraud or fake identity but if they did send us the right address its should not be a problem ..why its far more paranoid on every american when we all files their taxes and being holding our money ..its could hurt the communities alot worst when sending the letters scare everyone else ..i dont know its getting alot worst delay the refund..and i feel the same tooo ..getting worrying and IRS r up something i dont know .....i cant pin them but its need to be speedy up or something ...i dont know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies