Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax transcript for Tax year 2019

My tax returns for 2019 were delayed for various reason, mostly to do with Covid-19. However, I filed a Tax return in December last year and enquired about it in March 2020 to see that it was not shown as filed. I then sent another copy of the return in March 2020. It had to be a paper copy due to electronic method being closed.

I have been checking for status for a the past 3-4 weeks and the refund site shows: "your Tax is still being processed". I am owed a refund and while not desperate to get it immediately, I need transcripts for refinancing. Most Telephone methods to the IRS seem to end in the same message being "due to call volumes..". Local offices are mostly closed. How do I get a real status of where I am in the process, so I can provide proof of filing to the lender ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Well, your certified conformation and a copy of the IRS refund site showing that it is being processed should satisfy all but the densest loan brokers.     Even after it is processed, it can be several months more before the IRS creates a 2019 transcript.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Mailed in returns are taking 6 months or more to process so all you can do is WAIT until they process the first return you mailed in ... do  NOT keep mailing in returns because they can actually slow down the processing if there are 2 returns in the pipeline at the same time.  

only the IRS can answer your question and maybe not even then.  if you got through to an agent it is likely they could only tell you it's being processed but not when the processing will be complete. even after processing is complete it takes 2 -4 weeks for a transcript to show up. 

Thank you.

The urgency is created by the Mortgage broker trying to get the documents needed before the lock expires.

Thanks. The lender is telling me that if I take a set of IRS returns to a local office and have them "stamped", it will be OK for the documentation purposes? Does not seem right as the refund site is already showing the tax return is being processed, but somehow that is not acceptable to them.

Usually you just need to print out a copy and sign it in ink to give to someone.

Signed tax payer return makes sense, but my broker keeps telling me I need a "stamp" from IRS on the signed forms.

Sad thing is that most offices either do not pick up the phone to make an appointment or just post notices about being closed.

Tell your broker that he is incorrect ... if you have already efiled then you cannot drop off a copy at the IRS now and get a "stamped" received copy from them.  As you already figured out you cannot just walk in to an IRS office any longer.  

A transcript of the return should be enough for any mortgage :  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Unfortunately, it was too late to efile, so my returns were "paper filed".  What can be done under these circumstances ?

@hitechseeker wrote:

Signed tax payer return makes sense, but my broker keeps telling me I need a "stamp" from IRS on the signed forms.

Sad thing is that most offices either do not pick up the phone to make an appointment or just post notices about being closed.

The IRS is still way behind on mail.    Even when sent certified with return receipt, it is taking the IRS 2-3 months to even open the mail and return the receipt.

They are asking for something that does not exist.  Escalate it to someone who has a clue or find a new broker.   Local IRS offices do not accept or process tax returns - they will just tell you that if yiu need a transcript, you must wait until the IRS processing center posts it there.  (With the COVID overload at the IRS, that might be 6 months or more.)

Perhaps they really mean a 8879 signature authorization form that only paid professional issue so they can e-file on your behalf.   Self-prepared tax returns don't have that because you cannot authorize yourself.   The clearly do not understand how self-prepared tax software works.   (That is why brokers should not be asking for things beyond their knowledge.)

You might show them these news articles that show that more then 35 million taxpayers are waiting for the IRS.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tax-refund-delay-returns-backlog-growing-irs/

Also: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2021/04/23/stimulus-check-update-2021-tax-refund-delay-covid-re...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@hitechseeker wrote:

Unfortunately, it was too late to efile, so my returns were "paper filed".  What can be done under these circumstances ?

Did you mail certified with return  receipt or another tracking service?    Did you owe additional tax and of so was your payment received and processed?    If neither, then you have no  way to know or prove that the IRS even received it.   (According to news articles, the IRS still had about 2 million unprocessed 2019 tax returns that were mailed.)

I mailed it certified and got confirmation that it was received, at least as far as the certified mail is concerned. In facet the IRS refund site says that:

"Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available".

I think that is the confirmation that it was received by the IRS.

Well since the IRS has the return all you can do is wait for them to get to yours in the piles of millions they got for processing .... check the IRS site once a week to check on the progress if any.  

Well, your certified conformation and a copy of the IRS refund site showing that it is being processed should satisfy all but the densest loan brokers.     Even after it is processed, it can be several months more before the IRS creates a 2019 transcript.

There is very little logic in what is being asked.

But according to the broker, the lender keeps asking for the same thing.

Issue is more to do with rate lock expiration coming up soon, than anything else.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies