turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marhck4
Returning Member

Tax return

I filed my taxes March 13. I should of had my taxes the beginning of April. I received a letter April 25 th that they where verifying my information that it could take up to 60 days and I need not to do anything now its past the 60 days still the same on there end. Turbo tax sure gets there money for a service but can't help to see why its taking so long 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Tax return

Did you actually receive a letter that said YOU need to verify your identity?   Did you comply with the instructions in the letter?

Sometimes the IRS chooses returns randomly to request verification of identity and sometimes there is something on the return that triggers the request.  No matter why the IRS has required you to verify your identity, you need to follow their instructions in order to receive your refund.  If you do not verify your identity you will not get your refund.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Marhck4
Returning Member

Tax return

The letter says I don't need to do anything

Tax return

this not only occurs with Turbotax but also with other self-prepared tax software and even with returns filed by tax pros.  there is nothing Turbotax can do to speed up the IRS. the same is true if you were to have used others.

Marhck4
Returning Member

Tax return

I have tried to call the irs but good luck. The letter said I don't need to do nothing. Its stupid I have done taxes since I was 18 years old now I am 60 years old this is crazy

Tax return

@Marhck4 It was not clear from your original post that you were not asked to do anything.  There is nothing TurboTax can do to speed up the IRS for you.    The IRS does not share any information whatsoever with TurboTax after you file your tax return.  Sometimes the IRS puts returns under review--for a wide variety of reasons---and all you can do is wait for the IRS to finish processing the return.  They are severely backlogged, so many things are taking much longer than normal.  Keep watching the IRS refund site.  That is your source of information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Tax return

@Marhck4 - Turbo Tax would have no way to find out what the IRS delay is.  Turbo Tax is not privvy to what the IRS is doing and matters between you and the IRS are confidential; the IRS would not share anything with anyone other than you.

Here is what the IRS website states: 

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Marhck4
Returning Member

Tax return

Wow waited 21 days then get a letter stating they are verifying one of them or all three income taxable income and tax credit that it could take up to additional 60 days now I am pass the 60 days and nothing but the irs and turbo tax gets there money but no help to the tax payer. Its getting old checking everyday and the same thing and the irs can't get ahold of 

Tax return

@Marhck4 - best to check no more than once per week; the IRS is encourging no phone calls - from what I've read the agents answering the calls no nothing more than what is on the refund tool 

just have patience!

here is what the IRS website states: 

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies