Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change my banking direct deposit information after I have filed my return?

I need to change my banking information for direct deposit ASAP.  The bank accout information for direct deposit on my return is to an account that no longer exist.  Please let me know what I can do to fix this, thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bea

How can I change my banking direct deposit information after I have filed my return?

Hi Hitme,
If you have already filed your return you cannot change your information.  You would have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected (January 31st is when the IRS opens their efile system).  If your return gets accepted,
you will not be able to make any changes.

If your bank information is incorrect, the bank will reject the deposit and return the funds to the IRS. The IRS will automatically switch you to receiving a check. The IRS will then mail you a check for the refund.

If your return gets rejected, you can then go back through the file interview to make your changes. For the online editions of TurboTax click on File located on the left side of the online program screen.  Go through the interview in File and
you will come to the screen where you can enter the correct bank routing and account information.

I hope that this information helps you out.Thanks for choosing TurboTax and Good Luck, Bea

View solution in original post

131 Replies

our checking account was closed out however we went to the bank and opend a new account and was told that once we knew the deposit date that we were to go back to the bank and let them know so that the banker who handles deposits could transfer payment from old account to new account but it had to be us there at bank in person on said day of deposit. i would suggest that u make a point to go or even try going the day before and every day till the banker says that they see it bc the irs says they will send on the 7th for example it may not actually take place till the 8th or show up in the bank till the 12th. we are going to have to see how well this works for us ourselves just thought that id share that little bit of information w others in hopes that it will work

Changed banks

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Need to change my account number and routing for direct deposit how and where can I make the change?

Need to change my account number and routing for direct deposit how and where can I make the change?

If you have already filed and your return has been accepted it is too late to change the direct deposit information. If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.
 If you have not yet filed, then go to the FILE section and enter the correct banking info.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Bea

Hi Hitme,
If you have already filed your return you cannot change your information.  You would have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected (January 31st is when the IRS opens their efile system).  If your return gets accepted,
you will not be able to make any changes.

If your bank information is incorrect, the bank will reject the deposit and return the funds to the IRS. The IRS will automatically switch you to receiving a check. The IRS will then mail you a check for the refund.

If your return gets rejected, you can then go back through the file interview to make your changes. For the online editions of TurboTax click on File located on the left side of the online program screen.  Go through the interview in File and
you will come to the screen where you can enter the correct bank routing and account information.

I hope that this information helps you out.Thanks for choosing TurboTax and Good Luck, Bea

It has been accepted so I guess I'm screwed that sucks but thank you.

I did same shit now waiting for paper check fml

I did kinda the same thing I mean my bank opened a new account and new card for me so I guess I will be waiting longer for my refund now ugh
tierza123

Does anyone know if it would need to be reprocessed before switching to a paper check?

So when the refund goes back to the irs, how long will it take to recieve the check?

Can only wait now and should only take a week and refund goes back to irs almost instantly
tierza123

So it’ll take an extra week from what they said
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies