Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I date my signature on the amended return with todays date? Or original filing date?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I date my signature on the amended return with todays date? Or original filing date?

Today's date...and if you are filing an amended return for 2021 or some earlier year, it has to be mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Today's date...and if you are filing an amended return for 2021 or some earlier year, it has to be mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much!

when finishing my ameneded return for 2020 i was given the option to e file and i proceeded. when transmitting i kept getting a msg about the signature date so  i dated within the permitted dates. Will my return reject?

@Pjunior1983 You cannot e-file an amended past year return.  The only way to file it is by mail.  only certain paid tax pros with professional software can still e-file a 2020 amended return. You cannot do it using TurboTax.  Print it, sign it and date it in ink, and mail it

Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know the IRS received it, since you will have a long wait for it to be processed.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

In TurboTax during the review of a 2021 amended return, it says "New as of August 2020! You may be eligible to electronically file your amended return.  If you'd like to file electronically, click on the "File" tab above to proceed".

I click on the File tab, enter the info, hit the Transmit button, then get the same message as the original post that the date for signing has to be between 1/1/22 and 12/31/22 but I am filing the amended return in 2023.  

Why does TurboTax say "you may be eligible to electronically file your AMENDED return" but then engage the signature date issue?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

This issue is due to your 2021 tax return would not be eligible for electronic filing and you will need to print and mail it in.

For more information, please see the TurboTax FAQ's below:

@kaydee 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

According to the information on the TurboTax website, my AMENDED return does meet all of the requirements for e-filing.  It is within the 3 year window and the original return was e-filed with TurboTax, and the original return has been processed.  

The software says it's eligible and after completing validation it presents the Transmit Now button, only then does it say the date of signing must be between 1/1/22 and 12/31/22.  @CassLO 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If your return is not eligible, you will have to print and mail it in. 

Please see this help article for more information.
Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is very frustrating.  All documentation states that I can e-file a 2021 return in 2023, except the software fails at the very last step. In my case, it's 04/14/2023 today and I'm unable to e-file a 2021 return because my signature date is not between 01/01/2022 and 12/31/2022.  Changing the signature date to 12/31/2022 also fails with "e-file season closed" type message.

It's either a bug TurboTax is not willing to admit or fix, or just false advertisement.  Very disappointed to see a just-in-case feature I've been counting on to flat out not work the first time I had to use it.

Searching more, I found the following two articles interesting in that they paint a different picture for the same product and feature.  The first seems more accurate stating you can't e-file amended returns for "most" tax returns. Whereas the second only suggests "there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed", which is not true or misleading based on the timeframe limitations.

Efiling a prior year amended return is limited to certain dates hense the term "MAY" be eligible is used ... all you can do after the tax season closes for that tax year is to print, ink sign and mail the return completed using the TT program.  At some time in the future this may change but for now that is the limitations in place. 

Agreed!  The big thing for TurboTax to read in this thread is that we are talking about an AMENDED return which their site says can be e-filed for three years.  

We are NOT talking about filing the original return outside of the calendar year e-filing timeframe.

Second link failed to load :{

The amended return I am attempting to e-file today, April 2023, is for the 2021 and it is a VERY SIMPLE tax return for my college-aged kidult.  I can't imagine what complexity it has in it that "might" make it not eligible.  

To restate previous notes, the software says the amended return is eligible to be e-filed.  Yet is fails due to a [false] validation being enforced by the software that the signature date must be inside the calendar year of the ORIGINAL filing.  It should instead be validating that the signature is within THREE years of the filing date of the original return (with extensions factored in).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies