Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend my taxes if I was taxed on Stimulus money?

Will I get back money from monies that was taxed on Stimulus money
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you filed early.   The IRS will recalculate your return for the new unemployment exemption for you. There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

Just keep waiting. The IRS is sending them out in batches over the summer.
See IRS article May 14, 2021
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

And see,
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sending-more-than-2-point-8-million-refunds-to-those-who-already-pa...

Or what were you taxed on?  The Stimulus checks are not taxable.  How do you think you were taxed on them?  

You are not paying tax on them and they are not deducted from your refund. Turbo Tax started out by assuming you didn't get it and giving you credit for the whole amount so your refund was too high to begin with. Then when you entered what you already got the starting refund was reduced or the tax due increased. Otherwise you would be getting the Stimulus amount again on your tax return.

Look at your return. The Stimulus payments do not show up anywhere as taxable income so you are not being taxed on it. And they are not being subtracted anywhere on your return either.

NONE of the stimulus payments are taxable ... none at all.   What may have confused you is the way the program interview is set up ... the program gave you all the credit you are eligible for into the refund then when you finally tell the program how much credit you got in advance it reduces the refund by the same amount since you could not have the credit twice.  The result in the Refund-O-Meter looks like the stimulus payments were taxed but they were not.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies