Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Select PIN vs. IP PIN?

It looks like there are two different type of PINs when e-filing a tax return. I'd like to get some clarifications.

When e-filing with TurboTax (desktop version), which one I shall use?  I'm a fist time filer.  I got the rejection message "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".  I e-filed again with AGI=0.  Still got rejected for the same reason.

I don't have Self-select PIN from last year.  According to https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil..., I should enter AGI 0 and leave the PIN blank.  But TurboTax won't allow me file if the PIN is blank.  How can I work around that?

If there is no way to work around the TurboTax software, I can only file the return by mail.  But how can I e-file next year if I don't specify a Self-select PIN this year?  Is there a way to specify that on paper?  If yes, which form?

According to IRS, e-filer may also use IP PIN.  Actually, if IRS assigned you an IP PIN, you'd have to use that.  According to the link the 2nd bullet point above:

If you file your return without your IRS assigned IP PIN:

• We’ll reject your electronic return, and you won't be able to e-file
  • We’ll subject your paper return to additional screenings to validate your identity, delaying any refund you may be due

What would be the easiest way to do e-filing?  I don't want to apply for IP PIN if I don't have to.  But how can I work around the Self-select PIN chick-and-egg problem?  Thanks!

Sign3.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The Self-Select PIN and the IP PIN are two different things, as you surmised. The Self-Select PIN acts as a kind of electronic signature when you file your return online using software such as TurboTax. The IP PIN is a number the IRS issues to taxpayers who have reported identity theft or who wish to use this special PIN to better protect their identity.

If you forgot last year's Self-Select signature ID, you'll need to provide your 2021 adjusted gross income (AGI) for verification purposes. See this help article for information on how to obtain your 2021 AGI. 

See this help article for more information about the Self-Select signature ID.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Per IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil..., I need to leave my PIN blank if I am a first time filer.  How can I do that in TurboTax?  TurboTax won't allow me to continue if the PIN is blank.  Thanks!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

From the information in your previous post, I had understood that you were filing in TurboTax for the first time, but that you filed using another method in the past, since you got the rejection message "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".  

If you don't have the PIN you used last year to file a return, then you need to obtain your AGI from last year's return as per my previous response.

See the comments in this thread for more examples.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No.  I never, ever filed any tax before.  This is the first time in my life.

If this is your first time filing  AND the zero AGI trick did not work then your only option is to mail in the return this year. 

If you select to file with the Mail-In Option (US MAIL)

TurboTax should skip all this rigamarole.

start again at the FILE tab.

As I said before, IRS will record the AGI on your 2022 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies