Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

second stimulus for a dependent

Me and my wife got the stimulus check through the mail, but didn't get for my child. I already filed the tax for 2020 through Turbotax and I was just wondering if the stimulus check for my kid will be returned with tax return? I don't have any idea if I had to check any box to retrieve the credit... Does anyone have an answer for this? Please advise. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

when you filed your 2020 return there was a question asking if you received the stimulus payments.  If you answered that you did not receive one or both payments, then the amount due to you was added to your refund. 

To check the return that you already filed, sign in to TurboTax on a browser, not the app.
 Click the button for Add a State.  It will not add a state but will let you go back into your return.  

Go to Tax Tools, Tools, View Tax Summary, then click preview 1040.  The amount on Line 30 is what you will be receiving as part of your return for the stimulus payment.

View solution in original post

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Wait until you receive your refund. The IRS has said it will fix incorrect stimulus amounts.

The IRS will not calculate the Recovery Rebate Credit for people but if you make a mistake on the Line 30 amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

If the additional stimulus is not included in your return, you can amend 2020.

Click here for help: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

when you filed your 2020 return there was a question asking if you received the stimulus payments.  If you answered that you did not receive one or both payments, then the amount due to you was added to your refund. 

To check the return that you already filed, sign in to TurboTax on a browser, not the app.
 Click the button for Add a State.  It will not add a state but will let you go back into your return.  

Go to Tax Tools, Tools, View Tax Summary, then click preview 1040.  The amount on Line 30 is what you will be receiving as part of your return for the stimulus payment.

Hello, thanks for the prompt reply! I just checked line30, and it's currently marked blank. What can I do to fix this problem? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Wait until you receive your refund. The IRS has said it will fix incorrect stimulus amounts.

The IRS will not calculate the Recovery Rebate Credit for people but if you make a mistake on the Line 30 amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

If the additional stimulus is not included in your return, you can amend 2020.

Click here for help: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies