Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

arward88

Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

Okay so my baby was born in March of 2020, but the SSA just sent out his card 2 weeks ago. I filed my taxes on the 10th of Feb, including my baby, and got it rejected due to an issue with his SSN not matching his name. 
So when I'm directed to double check his number and see that it's correct, I panic and think maybe I entered in the format of his name incorrectly. 
So my child's name is (not really) 
Andrew (1st)

Sam (middle)

Jones (last)  so I entered it as Andrew Jones. 

when it was rejected, I figured maybe the IRS thought he had 2 last names so I went back and re-entered his name as Andrew (f) Sam Jones (L)

now I'm finding out from SSA it's likely IRS just hasn't gotten his SSN yet which was prob why it was rejected. 

sooooo is it gonna really mess me up that I entered his name like that? When they put in his social, will they see his name is on the card as Andrew Sam Jones and push it through orrrrr

**bleep** this is long. Plz help 

# irsrejection 

GloriaL

Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

It depends, when entering your child’s name in TurboTax, be sure you entered your child’s first name, middle initial and their last name. Do not include your child’s middle name under their last name.

There could be many reasons you got that e-file error regarding your dependent’s social security number.

If you have already verified that the information on your child’s SS card matches what you have in TurboTax, it is possible that the SSA has not yet updated their records to reflect your child’s information, especially if you just received their card in the mail two weeks ago. IRS receives and matches SS numbers with the Social Security Administration.

You can check with both the SSA and IRS at the numbers listed below:

• SSA: 800-772-1213
  • IRS: 800-829-1040

If the IRS rejected your tax return because your dependent’s information was wrong or is not in its systems, it can take several weeks for the SSA and the IRS to correct/update their records. You may wait for this information to be updated to electronically file or mail your tax return to the IRS this year.

GloriaL

Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

• SSA: 800-772-1213
  • IRS: 800-829-1040

McRondo

Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

@arward88 @Did you ever figure this out? Just got my sons social on Monday and I have been trying to file ever since and I keep getting rejected. Was your reason because the IRS hadn’t received the info from SS office and you had to wait a few weeks? Thanks