turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection due to dependent SSN issue

Okay so my baby was born in March of 2020, but the SSA just sent out his card 2 weeks ago. I filed my taxes on the 10th of Feb, including my baby, and got it rejected due to an issue with his SSN not matching his name. 
So when I'm directed to double check his number and see that it's correct, I panic and think maybe I entered in the format of his name incorrectly. 
So my child's name is (not really) 
Andrew (1st)

Sam (middle)

Jones (last)  so I entered it as Andrew Jones. 

when it was rejected, I figured maybe the IRS thought he had 2 last names so I went back and re-entered his name as Andrew (f) Sam Jones (L)

now I'm finding out from SSA it's likely IRS just hasn't gotten his SSN yet which was prob why it was rejected. 

sooooo is it gonna really mess me up that I entered his name like that? When they put in his social, will they see his name is on the card as Andrew Sam Jones and push it through orrrrr

**bleep** this is long. Plz help 

# irsrejection 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

It depends, when entering your child’s name in TurboTax, be sure you entered your child’s first name, middle initial and their last name. Do not include your child’s middle name under their last name.

There could be many reasons you got that e-file error regarding your dependent’s social security number.

If you have already verified that the information on your child’s SS card matches what you have in TurboTax, it is possible that the SSA has not yet updated their records to reflect your child’s information, especially if you just received their card in the mail two weeks ago. IRS receives and matches SS numbers with the Social Security Administration.

You can check with both the SSA and IRS at the numbers listed below:

• SSA: 800-772-1213
  • IRS: 800-829-1040

If the IRS rejected your tax return because your dependent’s information was wrong or is not in its systems, it can take several weeks for the SSA and the IRS to correct/update their records. You may wait for this information to be updated to electronically file or mail your tax return to the IRS this year.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

It depends, when entering your child’s name in TurboTax, be sure you entered your child’s first name, middle initial and their last name. Do not include your child’s middle name under their last name.

There could be many reasons you got that e-file error regarding your dependent’s social security number.

If you have already verified that the information on your child’s SS card matches what you have in TurboTax, it is possible that the SSA has not yet updated their records to reflect your child’s information, especially if you just received their card in the mail two weeks ago. IRS receives and matches SS numbers with the Social Security Administration.

You can check with both the SSA and IRS at the numbers listed below:

• SSA: 800-772-1213
  • IRS: 800-829-1040

If the IRS rejected your tax return because your dependent’s information was wrong or is not in its systems, it can take several weeks for the SSA and the IRS to correct/update their records. You may wait for this information to be updated to electronically file or mail your tax return to the IRS this year.

@arward88 @Did you ever figure this out? Just got my sons social on Monday and I have been trying to file ever since and I keep getting rejected. Was your reason because the IRS hadn’t received the info from SS office and you had to wait a few weeks? Thanks 

Jayy123_

This happened to me I just got his social last month. Not sure if this is the reason I got rejected and it hasn’t been updated on their system. I also only put his first and last name as that’s what it asked for. Didn’t ask for a middle initial or anything like that. I just re sent it saying it’s correct. I hope I wasn’t supposed to put his middle name. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact the IRS and Social Security for assistance. 

Social Security

SSA: 800-772-1213
IRS: 800-829-1040

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We actually found out that they had the incorrect birth month on my child’s SS (Local social security office made an error).  So we just used the incorrect month to refile since that’s what was on file and it worked. Then applied for a new card with the corrected month. 

Following this has happened to me. 1st time being rejected and the irs rep said because my baby doesn’t exist with the ss number that was given to her. 

i asked what do I do next they hung up. So I’m assuming just wait or get with the ss to follow up. 

It takes about 6 weeks for the SSA to update the IRS record with the newly issued numbers ... so if the child was born in December try again in a couple of weeks.   Any return with child related credits will not start processing before mid February so you have time to wait.  

Thank you! Yes they asked me when the newborn ss was issued and I told the irs, it was issued on Jan 25 and they said that was why she was not found like my newborn does not exist yet, before i was able to ask other questions the call disconnected.

So since I went to a tax preparer office to file, do we just wait 2 weeks to resubmit via electronic or do I now have to send a paper return?

WAIT !!!!!   Paper returns will take 6 months or more to process.   And if you went to a physical tax office and a professional tax preparer then THEY should have known that the SS# was too new to file and should have offered to keep trying every couple of weeks automatically.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies