turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Your tax return is still being processed"

I filed my taxes on 3/26/20 and was supposed to get my federal refund via direct deposit by 4/16. It says that my "Federal E-File" was accepted on 3/26 but  have not received my payment. When I check the IRS website it says "your tax return is still being processed." I tried calling their direct line but it is not active during COVID. I don't know what else to do or what that means? My state tax return was already deposited into my account. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or know if this is related to COVID and there are delays in payments? I appreciate all help~

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
kkris1207

I am having the same issue. I submitted mine on 3/12 and they were accepted on 3/15. Still on accepted status with no word about when I will receive refund. 

Sorry I can't provide any solution to your problem, just wanted to let you know that I was having the same issue and hope that someone can provide some insight within this thread as to why. 

There is nothing you can do when the IRS is not answering phone calls and may not be processing tax returns. 

See this info about the IRS process: Where’s My Tax Refund? How to Check Your Refund St... - Community

AnakaTax3

Same problem here as well! I was wondering if it was because I deducted my fees from my refund

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, the ''still processing'' message does not have anything to do with paying your TurboTax fees with your refund.  Although that seems perfectly logical, I am almost certain that is not the reason.  If your tax return status has been showing that same message for multiple weeks, that means the IRS is reviewing some aspect (could be anything) of your tax return. 

For whatever reason, it has been taken out of the automatic processing (e-fling) system and is now being processed manually.   And since they are currently not processing returns that were mailed in or need manual processing, the status will not update until the IRS resumes normal operations.  

Once it is accepted, only the IRS can provide you information on the timing aspect - so then we are back to them not taking calls.  ;(   Hopefully they get back to work and tax return processing soon.  For what it is worth, you are not alone in this situation.  

Topic No. 152 Refund Information    Please see this link for more information.   @AnakaTax3

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
josh9569

IRS acknowledged receipt of my return 4/24/2020, still haven't gotten my refund. I placed a phone call to them after waiting for mor than the 21 days they said it would take to process it. Waited on hold for more than an hour and 10 min. They said it was being worked on but the agent I talked to had no idea if anything was wrong with my return and that I would have to just wait. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to even hear from them at all. They, I believe, have until 45

days from July 15th. deadline to add interest to your return. 

Bitzie
Returning Member

I would recommend calling the IRS (yes you have to be patient, it's a pain).  Mine was stuck needing an identity verification and because the processing center that would normally mail out the verification notices has been shut down, my return was stuck in limbo.  I had to call to determine why the return was stuck, and then had to be transferred to the identity notification section to get that cleared up.  It will still take a possible 9 more weeks before they process the refund.  INSANE.  I efiled my turbo tax the end of April.  Bottom line if your return still says it's "being processed", call the IRS.  Something has it stuck.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns at the IRS due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

I submitted my taxes on 02/25 and it still says it's being processed and no date has been given as to when I'm supposed to get it. This is all electronic and direct deposit. I've never waited this long for federal, it usually comes first. I have since gotten my Illinois state which came a little less than three weeks later.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS once they have accepted your return. With the IRS filing delay and backlog this tax season due to COVID closing the offices and leaving the IRS with very few employees working for the past year, the IRS has not stated how long it will take to deposit tax refunds. Your tax refund may be deposited in your bank account before the IRS has a chance to update your information on the Where's My Refund website.

Please click IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue to learn more.  

If you e-filed, make sure the return was e-filed successfully and accepted:

• Re-check your e-file status 

Make sure to enter the federal refund amount without the state refund, less any TurboTax fees if you chose to pay any fees out of the refund.

• If you are married filing jointly try using the Social Security Number for the name that appears first on the return. 

If you have already tried the above on the IRS WMR website, you can check the status of your refund by calling the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954. 

Thanks to Biden. We will probably never see a refund. 

kjs1856
Returning Member

Amen Brother! Of course you have to have money to pay it! Our gov't. is broke and printing more money isn't gonna help!

My guess is we don't see our returns until Hell Freezes...well you know the rest of the saying

kjs1856
Returning Member

Glad to know I'm not alone. Have heard rumors that many people may have actually been caught up in the big SS fraud payments scandal and didn't even know it.

My wife and I never received a single stimulus check even though I'm pretty sure we didn't qualify for them anyway but none the less now I'm wondering if they're holding my return because my identity was compromised. filed 4/9 and still no funds.

In any case if you've got hours to waste call them but get on the phone first thing in the morning or you'll never get through and be prepared to sit on hold for a minimum of 1-2 hours.

No offense but pretty sure a republican president would have made sure you've been paid already, I don't see the politicians checks getting held up at all do you?

sls01bws
Returning Member

"Your tax return is still being processed

Taxes accepted feb 12th

Verified ss insurance supplement payment March 8th.

Nothing wrong with my return. Supposed IRS recovery act issue.

Now Just sitting in the pile of IRS BS. They re did software for everything else but the recovery act.

waiting for 11k

16 weeks  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies