turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

You Haven't E-Filed a Tax Return Yet (false)

It is May 20, 2022 so all TurboTax software updates are supposed to be in place.

Not only did I receive a first email from TurboTax confirming my e-file submission ("Currently your e-file status is pending. We’ll send you an email the moment we know it’s changed"), I also received a second email from TurboTax confirming my e-file was accepted by the IRS ("Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS.").

Also, I e-filed with direct debit of what I owe to the IRS, and the IRS already withdrew that exact amount from my checking account. 

Yet, TurboTax thinks that I have not e-filed my return...

ss-97-why-thinks-not-efiled.png

Why is that? Is this a bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Ok ... first be happy the return has been filed and the debt paid.  

Next that looks like the downloaded program screen ... so have you updated the program lately ?   And are you checking the correct file ?  

And did you click CONTINUE as directed for the double check ? 

1. Yes, I updated the program on May 19 and May 20 (2022) -- before and after e-filing.
  2. Yes, I am checking the correct file.
  3. Yes, I clicked CONTINUE as directed for the double check.

Yet, TurboTax thinks that I have not e-filed my return.

Maybe because I only filed Federal and not State?

Either way, looks to me like a bug.

I am encountering this issue also.  In my case it's on the Turbotax Premier (Mac) product.

I filed my federal return, a state return (South Carolina) - and still have to file for California.

However every time I open up the app it thinks I have not filed my Federal return, despite going through the whole process of: "Think you've already filed?  Select Continue and we'll double-check if you have or not."

Yet every time I go through with this it takes me back to e-file my Federal return, which it subsequently won't accept because it's already been submitted.

Turbotax thinking that my Federal return was not filed is preventing me from filing my California return electronically.

*I received confirmation e-mails already that my South Carolina and Federal return were accepted.  Not sure what kind of "double checking" they're doing.  I guess it's the kind that is not actually checking at all.

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Several desktop users have reported this phenomenon this filing season.  The more folks who phone TurboTax Support, the more likely they will at some point pay attention to it.

I did that already and their solution was that I should print and mail my return.  Absurd.

This isn't really a solution. It's a workaround.

Fortunately for me, I was all done by the time I received this weird prompt. So there is nothing for me to mail.

But it is troubling that there is no one in Intuit who can authoritatively answer this.

MMK4
Level 2

Well, it is already 2023, and this bug is still here!

I filed today with TurboTax Desktop 2022, and received an e-mail confirmation "In Progress: Your TurboTax Return Status" and somewhat later another email: "TurboTax Update: Federal Return Accepted"

Well, I opened TurboTax to print the updated forms with the acceptance, and guess what: "You Haven't E-Filed"

"Think you have already filed? Select Continue and we'll double check if you have or not"

Of course, this does not work, when I click on Continue the program switches in a blink to "Do not forget your State return", it didn't check anything...

So frustrating that for one year Intuit didn't bother to fix such a bug!

I use updated version of the program, and the proper tax file (I have only one).

So what to do now?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@MMK4 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm using 2023 Home and Business Turbotax desktop software for Mac, and I am running into the same problem.  My federal return was accepted, but the state return was rejected due to a problem with the way turbotax categorizes non-US rental properties.  When I open the return in turbotax and "check e-filing status", Turbotax thinks I have not filed yet.  Turbotax customer service representative was able to confirm that I filed in their system, recommended I simply file again, which was rejected as it was an attempt to file a duplicate return.  Filing state without federal is not possible via turbotax software.  The turbotax product continues to be incredibly buggy and the QA process is a total failure.  The customer service representative's only advice was that I print and file my state return, which essentially renders turbotax useless.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the Download/Desktop version, you will need to make sure you have updated your software which may resolve the issue.  To manually update for Windows, please see this Help Article.  

@randomname123 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This product is hot garbage.

There's a lot of aspects of the product's design that evidence it is a creaky pile of technical debt that is kept alive by heavy lobbying (all of the tax-prep software companies try to basically prevent the IRS from introducing their own free solution.)  I've concluded that I will never be filing with TurboTax again.

It's too expensive to be so unreliable.  Next year I'm finding a different solution.  Despite having numerous schedules and carryover forms that are saved from preceding tax years, I am going to bite the bullet and manually transfer them over to a new product.

Sayonara, dudes.

Even after updating my Download version today (April 21, 2023), my TurboTax Premier still says "You haven't E-Filed a Tax Return Yet".

As a software developer myself, I would have been ashamed to work for a company that delivers such bugs, with such unhelpful customer support advice.

chilllillal
Returning Member

2024 and bug is still here. Need to amend my 2022 to a tax season I already efiled.

efiling status is incorrect - think you efiled already? click continue and let us double check. It didn't check anything just said efiling was closed for the tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies