Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will Turbotax help me dispite IRS claim that the Turbotax computations were wrong and me refund was reduced.

IRS says Turbotax computations were wrong.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will Turbotax help me dispite IRS claim that the Turbotax computations were wrong and me refund was reduced.

So...after you filed the return did the 2nd EIP payment arrive?   Some people got the 2nd stimulus after they said "no" to that question.  And lots of people said "no" because they  mistakenly thought they would put it on 2021.  You cannot get it twice, so if the IRS thinks you got it that is why it was removed from your refund.  Check your IRS account to see if the IRS says you got the 2nd payment.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE IRS/STATE

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What did the IRS change?  Maybe it's something we can explain for you.  Like something common like the Recovery rebate credit.   

Wrong calculations just means the IRS changed your return.  Like it could even be if you left some income off your return.  Or got the wrong taxable amount for Social Security or IRA or pension etc.

Their letter states"We changed your 2020 form 1040SR to match our record of your estimate tax payments, credits applied from another tax year, and/or payments received with an extension to file. As a result, you are due a refund of $127.41", which is what I received.

Turbotax advised I was due a refund of. $1200 and filed that return for me electronically.

IRS added no further explanation.

Sounds like your 1040SR line 26 is wrong.  You have an amount listed but the IRS didn't get an estimated payment from you.  Check lines 25 & 26. Do you agree with all the withholding and estimates paid?  Did you send in all the payments shown?  Did you file an extension in April but not send in the payment?

Sometimes people enter their W2 withholding in the wrong place and it shows up as an Estimated payment on line 26.

Line 26 is correct, and I sent all payments in on time, using the vouchers IRS supplied. No to all your other questions.

FYI, when I was filing online with Turbotax, my initial estimated refund was $0. However, when we reviewed my deductions I was asked if I had received the second Recovery Rebate. When I replied no, my expected refund changed to $1200. Thats why we filed for $1200 refund.

So...after you filed the return did the 2nd EIP payment arrive?   Some people got the 2nd stimulus after they said "no" to that question.  And lots of people said "no" because they  mistakenly thought they would put it on 2021.  You cannot get it twice, so if the IRS thinks you got it that is why it was removed from your refund.  Check your IRS account to see if the IRS says you got the 2nd payment.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Well the letter the IRS sent doesn't sound like the Stimulus payment adjustment but whatever......

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you. Did you get the 2nd round after you filed your return?   Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

How to put a trace on a missing 1st or 2nd Stimulus payment.  IRS for Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

See question F3 here, you can expand it to see how to put a trace on it.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-f-finding-the-first-and-second-econom...

Line 30 is only if you didn't get one or both of the first 2 Stimulus payments or if you qualified for more, like if you added a dependent.   Did you not get the full amount for the  first two EIP payments?  Maybe you got the second one after you filed?

I have re-checked all my banking documents and confirmed that no second payment was received. Also, it is impossible to access my IRS account. Supposedly they are usps mailing an entry code in a week or so. I have decided to reclaim it on my 2021 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies