turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kowiak

Why does TT show different numbers from original tax return when starting an amended return?

I started an amended return and before I entered anything, TT showed a refund of over $5k when it should show $0. Reviewing the return showed that around $25k had been added to the AGI! I'm just trying to make sure I entered over contribution to my Roth. (1040 line 4a is blank). Do I have to go through the whole return again to make sure all the numbers are correct?! Is this some kind of horrible bug in turbotax??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why does TT show different numbers from original tax return when starting an amended return?

I have observed online TurboTax do strange things.  When data is transmitted, sometimes things just don't go through correctly.  

Cancel your amend, sign out of TurboTax, then use the Chrome browser and clear cache and cookies.

Attempt the amend again.  If these strange things are still happening, then contact the helpdesk for assistance.

Turbotax has been fiddling with returns that showed Unemployment tax.

For that reason you have to be super careful that your Column A and Column C on 1040-X  are correct.

If you used TurboTax Online,  I suggest you get 1040-X form from IRS and fill it out yourself.

"When data is transmitted, sometimes things just don't go through correctly"

what does this have to do with amending.?

Since e-File is an electronic transmission over Internet protocol, what you are claiming just should not be possible.

If Turbotax sends a bad file, the error comes earlier.  IRS needs better error checking.

I have observed a person starting a return and TurboTax putting in numbers that should not be there.  It is not common, but does happen.  This person started an amend and had a $5000 error as soon as the amend opened.  I blame a bad data transmission for that, rather than an across the board bug or an IRS error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies