Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have to print and mail something for e-file? Is there a service that will do this for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why do I have to print and mail something for e-file? Is there a service that will do this for me?

@gabe-neonliterar 

A number of city tax returns have to be filed by mail for Michigan....

Print out your entire tax file and check the MI-related forms that print...there would also be an "Electronic Filing" instruction sheet at the start of the MI set of papers that should describe exactly what must be mail-filed:

Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Please explain what you mean.   What do you think you have to print and mail if you are e-filing your tax return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You are not required to print and mail anything if e-filing a tax return.  What are you seeing from TurboTax that indicates something needs to be mailed?  What form and/or schedule?

I am seeing: Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2021 Michigan Tax Return
Important: Your taxes are not finished until all required steps are completed. 2021 Michigan Forms to Print and Mail

It told me: Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2021 Michigan Tax Return
Important: Your taxes are not finished until all required steps are completed

That does not tell us what "steps" you are seeing that make you think you have to mail something.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You don't need to be rude. Turbotax told me to print and mail a document to finish after I finished my e-file. That's the title of the document that Turbotax gave me. I can't find the exact wording because the page is gone.

@gabe-neonliterar We simply do not know or understand what you are saying you need to send in by mail.   No one else has access to your account or your return.   We cannot see your screen.   We do not know what, if anything, you are supposed to mail in to the state.    If in fact you are supposed to mail something to your state then you have to print it yourself and mail it yourself.   In some situations there are local or city tax returns that cannot be e-filed and must be sent by mail even if the federal and state return was e-filed.  Since we cannot see your information, that is just a best guess.

You might need to contact support for help since you are unsure about whatever it was and cannot find it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

@gabe-neonliterar 

A number of city tax returns have to be filed by mail for Michigan....

Print out your entire tax file and check the MI-related forms that print...there would also be an "Electronic Filing" instruction sheet at the start of the MI set of papers that should describe exactly what must be mail-filed:

Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Okay, got it! I didn't know that some forms cannot be e-filed. Thank you for your response!

As you progressed thru the TT interview there were instructions  posted along the way which would include any mailing you need to do and how to do it.   These instructions are also part of the PDF file of your return.  Save a PDF of the return with all the worksheets so you have everything at your finger tips.  

If you have filed your federal tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2021 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  

Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies