turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oretha09

Where's my refund status changed from accepted, approved back to being processed.

Can something be wrong? Last week I check my status on the Where's My Refund site. I entered my info and it showed that orange bars telling me that my return was accepted then approved. I checked today and the bars are gone and there is a message saying that my return is being processed and I will be given a date for my return later. Filed 01/30/18.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Where's my refund status changed from accepted, approved back to being processed.

Perhaps, the message you saw before was premature and/or inaccurate. The messages and bars on Where’s My Refund? may change; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously.

Please feel free to review the following IRS link if you haven't already, 2017 Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

If applicable:

I claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on my tax return. When can I expect my refund?

• According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting Feb. 27, 2018, if these taxpayers chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.
  • Where’s My Refund? on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. Where’s My Refund? will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC and ACTC refund filers on February 17. These taxpayers will not see a refund date on Where’s My Refund? or through their software packages until then. The IRS, tax preparers and tax software will not have additional information on refund dates, so these taxpayers should not contact or call them about refunds before the end of February.

Also, if you chose to pay TurboTax with your federal refund, once the IRS reviews and approves your federal refund, the amount is sent to a third-party, who processes the TurboTax fees and the remaining amount is deposited into the bank account you provided. The state refund(s) must be reviewed and approved and will be sent directly from the state(s) (no third-party is involved). Please review the following link(s) and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information:

Hey can you tell me what happened? Mines like that 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Perhaps, the message you saw before was premature and/or inaccurate. I would just suggest to keep checking your refund, maybe every couple of days, at the Where's My Refund? site.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sous3id92

This is not in any way helpful. Does it mean they found something wrong on your return or is it just a processing problem on their end. I think that is the answer we are all looking for. 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

No, it does not mean that there is anything wrong.   There may have been some issues with Where's my Refund over the weekend and the following holiday on Monday, concerning the PATH Act and you should just keep checking while the IRS straightens everything out.  

Processing, or Still Processing,  simply means that the IRS is working on your return, it is the stage after accepted and before being approved.   Here is more information on what's happening with your return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4689484

Cleffew97

My return went from accepted to being processed. Why? It's been 21 days. I opted to pay turbo tax out of refund. I checked with third party and still not received. I also claimed EIC. Please help.

With EIC you wont be getting it until the end of February to mid March

Cleffew97

Thankyou

You're Welcome! Enjoy your weekend

sous3id92

I don't get EIC bc I apparently make too much as the sole provider in a family of three 

sous3id92

Mine was already approved, then went back to processing 

willie273

We (3 separate returns) also were approved and given a deposit date of yesterday. Refund did not show and now back to processing.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@willie273  Unfortunately, TurboTax does not receive updates regarding tax returns, once they are accepted by the IRS. The only information the IRS shows regarding this situation is:

Does Where’s My Refund? always display my refund status showing the different stages of return received, refund approved and refund sent?
No, not always. Sometimes, when we are still reviewing your return, instead, it will display instructions or an explanation of what we are doing.

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

The only other suggestion is contacting the IRS directly to see if they can give you more detailed information on why your status went from approved then back to processing.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Angbcool2

Ours did the same thing went to approved gave a date of yesterday then now is back to accepted and p processing. I'm glad to see it's not just us but it's definitely frustrating and hopefully they will fix it soon

Manage cookies