turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missy1979

What do I do if I already filed my 2020 taxes and claimed the recovery rebate, but then I received my stimulus check?

Thank you so much for that. I was worried that i had messed up my taxes but I am so happy that it will not affect my taxes. 

Mattcam

What do I do if I already filed my 2020 taxes and claimed the recovery rebate, but then I received my stimulus check?

I know I clicked I had already gotten the stimulus on the TT site but somehow it didn't go through and it looks like it says I didn't get it so now I'm sure we will be put into review and take forever to get our taxes when I tried to fix it, it was to late so now I'm just waiting to see what happens. I really hope it doesn't take months to get our taxes now I know I hit that I already had received it not sure who it changed to I didnt? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you reported that you received both of your stimulus checks, TurboTax will not report a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

Does your 2020 Federal 1040 report an amount on line 30?  Please clarify.

Most refunds will be issued in less than 21 days. You can start checking the status of your refund within 24 hours after you have e-filed your return. Remember, the fastest way to get your refund is to e-file and choose direct deposit.  See this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EdnCharl

I read that the IRS would not need to be repaid for my stimulus, however, they deducted that amount from my refund....why?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, IRS has determined you were entitled to the check by their records and had it in the process to send you.  Then, when they see that you also included it in your requested return refund, they are adjusting the return refund amount by the check amount you are receiving to make sure you are not overpaid.

Yes, IRS is starting to compare the recovery rebate requested returns with the stimulus checks being sent out to taxpayers that are "crossing in the mail" and is adjusting some refunds by the stimulus check mailed separately and reducing the tax return refund by the check amount now sent.  

ama515

What step do I need to do if I never received the $600 stimulus check ( it states it was mailed on 2/2/21 ) and I filed it on my taxes and the IRS did NOT give it to me? The bad part is I paid $80 bc TURBO TAX would NOT let me go on in my taxes until I chose the payment option and I didn't even get the full Return I was promised. This has been a NIGHTMARE just to get the stimulus check ( it was sent to the wrong bank account and then sent to the wrong address which I had updated last year on TURBO TAX ) Has anyone else ran into this ? If so what did you do to get your check- I have a feeling its going to be hard just to get the 3rd stimulus check. I have no kids and I make less than 30,000 so I am more than qualified for the stimulus check ( I got the first one with no problem)

If you didn't receive your second stimulus check, you should have been able to claim the Recovery Rebate credit on your 2020 tax return.  The stimulus is just an advance on that credit.  You stated that you did this. 

You should first check your IRS account to see if you can figure out what has happened.  It could have been issued and never received, or it could have been stuck for some other reason.  The account should be able to provide history and information.  The next step would be to communicate with the IRS through the account. Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

The following are two other links that can help with regards to stimulus payments:

If you are still waiting for your stimulus payment, you can check the following TurboTax link for help.

For refund inquiries, please visit the IRS website to see their refund status tool.

@ama515

I filed for my mother and myself. I did not include the second stimulus check because it arrived in January and I thought it would count for this year's taxes. We filed before February 12th and still have not received anything. Should I file an amendment for both of us? How long is too long to wait?

No, you should not file an amendment.  The IRS has urged taxpayers not to amend their returns and has said that they will make adjustments according to the new laws that were passed under the American Rescue Plan.  Here are links to articles and FAQs about the stimulus:

What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days?

How will the third stimulus impact me? 

How will I know if I was issued a stimulus check?

What if I already filed my 2020 taxes?

@zapatatrucker68

I filed my 2020 tax return but notice after that I did not received my 1st & 2nd stimulus payment for one of my dependents. I spoke to a turbo tax rep and she said I needed to amend but I don't know how to change or fix it. 

@ColeenD3 

Bh39

My where's my refund site has zero bars but my TT says accepted as of Jan 24th. I also claimed I didn't receive the 3rd stimulus but did. Is this why I haven't even seen an update yet? I have nothing for my 2021 transcript either on the IRS site. Why hasn't this updated at all?

AamilD
Expert Alumni

Per the IRS website, usually a refund is processed within 21 days after e-filing. While they have mentioned that if the stimulus check information is entered incorrectly will cause delays, they have not given a timeline of how long that delay will be. However, there is no need to amend your tax return since the IRS will adjust the amounts on their own.

Bh39

So, if I'm not seeing any bars or even the bar tool itself that shows the 3 processing stages when I go to look up my refund in "WMR' is okay? there's no need to panic? Because I'm panicking? I filed on the 24th of January 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

You can amend or correct your return if there is missing information. You will want to wait until your original return is processed.  Sometimes the IRS makes adjustments there, and you do not want two versions of your return in process at the same time.  There is no additional charge to use Turbo Tax to amend your federal or state return. Many, many people have this happen every year. It is a very common thing to have a late form and need to file an amendment, for federal and/or for state.

Below is a Turbo Tax FAQ with step-by-step instructions to amend.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Tax year 2021 federal amend form should be available by Feb 24th, and you can check that at this list of IRS forms and dates. IRS Forms Available Estimates

The IRS is processing many returns but there have been many changes in the last year and some of them are slowing down some of the returns. It sounds as if you are tracking your refund with the IRS Where's My Refund tool. Here is an IRS page with additional information about what to expect. IRS Refund information

If your return with a refund claims an Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, it would not have begun processing until at least February 15th. This is part of the PATH Act. If your return contains either of those credits, you can find more information at this IRS website. It currently says returns that are otherwise clear to refund should be refunding by March 1st.  IRS refund processing dates EIC and ACTC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ranger_1976
Returning Member

I need help I never received my first two stimulus check i did claim them but never received them 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies