turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a letter from the irs saying they are gonna take 60 more days to review my return. What does this mean?

I am having the same issue for this year. I was wondering if yours ever got resolved?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

I got a letter from the irs saying they are gonna take 60 more days to review my return. What does this mean?

Please refer to this Turbo Tax FAQ regarding IRS letters.

I got a letter or notice from the IRS
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs/00/27100

Understanding Your IRS Notice or Letter
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-irs-notice-or-letter

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tanyar
Returning Member

I’ve used TurboTax for years and I’ve never had this issue I got my letter in April saying that they needed additional 60 days I looked at my transcript and it said that I may get it May 7 but I’m not holding my breath I don’t know what’s going on but this is ridiculous. 

Tanyar
Returning Member

I’m in the same boat I’ve been using TurboTax forever and I’ve never had a problem I’ve only received one letter saying that they need an additional 60 days to review I have not received anything else since then I’ve looked at my transcripts several times and the dates keep getting pushed out right now I’m looking at about May 7 but I’m not holding my breath I don’t know what the issue is but this is becoming ridiculous as I need the money ASAP. 

Tanyar
Returning Member

They told me that I owe the money and then it’s gonna be withdrawn from my account and I signed up for it to be deducted from my taxes kind of sucks cause I’m strapped on cash really needed my income tax and now they’re gonna screw me by taking it out of my account got a love it. 

joeloretta2005
Returning Member

I received a letter stating that the IRS never received my 2020 return it's funny that they have my work sheet of my return and it also states that everything is in order Bit it's going to another 60 days beforr I receive my  2020 refund 

Ok ... so they are simply telling you it will take more time to process the return ... if they asked you to send something then do ASAP  otherwise all you can do is wait.   

After 'horrendous' year for cash-strapped IRS, taxpayers can expect more delayed refunds (yahoo.com)

Has anyone actually gotten their refund after the 60 day review was up? Or the second 60 day review? Please tell me how you were able to get your taxes or get someone on the phone. I'm now approaching 120 days and its still in review. Just want to know what's going on. I've used Turbo tax for years and everything seems to be correct. I guess I will just have to continue to trust God that they will deposit mine. Praying for you guys, I know everyone could use the extra funds, and praying that the IRS get more workers to help with the caseload if that's the issue. 

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

I filed 2/24 and was accepted the same day. On 3/26 got and completed identity verification. On 5/16 got a "60 day additional review' letter (cp05).

It said my refund is on hold but "no action needed at this time". I'm still waiting. No updates. No changes to WMR. No changes to my tax transcripts. I claimed the child tax credit for my 3 kids. Used TurboTax and the refund advance. Idk what's going on. I've been using turbo tax for the past 5 years. First time this has happened. I'm losing my mind. 

@Jestriann - there is a lot of review the IRS is doing for anyone who had dollars listed on Lines 28 and Lines 30 - those are the REcovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, which has the advance this year.  So those credits are very different from years past - THAT is what is going on.

it is nothing that Turbo Tax is controlling or reflective of their software - it's reflective of the nature of the tax credits that Congress passed.  

Look at the bright side - at least you got a letter that says wait 60 days (and it's not yet 60 days from May 16).  There are many, many posts on these boards where folks aren't even getting that! They are getting no information and no setting of expectations.

Be patient! At least you know the IRS has reviewed your return! 

@Jestriann - one more thing - you mention the 3 children...... to further set your expectations, please do the following

1) Look at form 8812 and line 14f.  THAT is the amount you told Turbo Tax you received for the Advance CHild Tax credit

2) Go back to your bank statements from July - Dec, 2021.  Literally open each of the 6 statement,  How much did the IRS direct deposit? please do not do this from memory.

if 1) which is what you stated you received from the IRS and 2), which is what the IRS send you,  do not match, the IRS is going to adjust your refund by the difference.  

They went into My account ,and took the 361 dollars ,they did it last year as well and it took them A year to send my taxes from 2020, when they do that it messes my money up and actually not fair because I am waiting on my taxes.

That is just not right.

I received one as well and it's really not cool because I filed on February 18,2022 and I have heard anything else. I am having a really hard time and facing fanancial hard ships. Even eviction.

@ ccfa488c7dad wrote:

I received one as well and it's really not cool because I filed on February 18,2022 and I have heard anything else. I am having a really hard time and facing fanancial hard ships. Even eviction.

You can phone the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for assistance since you are having a financial hardship.   They are especially prone to help in that circumstance.   In your conversation stress your financial hardship and that there is a threat of possible eviction (if that's the case.)  And also stress the lack of information and continued delays from the IRS.

At the following IRS website, select your state from the dropdown menu, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies