Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Futty1009

I got a letter from the irs saying they are gonna take 60 more days to review my return. What does this mean?

When did everyone receive their refund? We got 3 letters and it's been almost 90 days since we last received one and still havent heard anything on ours

I got a letter from the irs saying they are gonna take 60 more days to review my return. What does this mean?

Turbotax receives no updates on refunds once the return is accepted. the IRS is reviewing your return. only it can answer as to when the review will be finished and the refund if you're still entitled to all or part, will be issued.

I just got this kind of letter is there anything I need to worry about? 

Hi! Don't stress! I did when I got the letter. It just meant that it was taking the IRS longer to process my return. I ended up getting it much sooner than what the letter said. Hang tight! It'll come soon ☺️

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see our Help Article for more information in regard to getting letters from the IRS.  

@Mcornellier  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just got a notice in the mail that it could take up to 60 days to review my return.

I have been using Turbo Tax for a decade now, and never got this before.  Is Turbo Tax responsible for this delay because of some error in the return?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS would be the only entity that can answer why your refund is pending their review.  They can pick your return at random for a review or they may be looking at calculations made. For more information about letters received from the IRS.  Please see our Help Article.  To reach out to the IRS regarding this: 

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM (local time zone)

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First, choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or, you can visit your local IRS Office

@Greenhawk84 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes you can. After 6 months you can ABSOLUTELY file a case in District Court against the irs refund department 

there are fees to file a case in District Court

and

you can represent yourself in District Court without a lawyer. However, you are required to know and follow the court rules and the law.

Representing yourself in court can be complicated, time-consuming, and costly. Failing to follow court procedures can mean losing your case. For these reasons, working with a lawyer is suggested. 

Spending thousands on a lawyer to fight it in court  is usually not worth it ... the IRS often sends a "60 day notice" but could take longer to resolve whatever issue they are having which may not have anything to do with you or the TT program.

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies