turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmgrave

We amended our 2020 Return to include a 1098T we received after our return was accepted, and the IRS adjusted only the unemployment credit. How do we amend again?

We filed the amended return with TurboTax online, and the IRS Amended return showed they received it and began processing. However, they only processed based upon the unemployment credit, and apparently did not receive our full amended return which included the missing 1098T and would have given us an additional credit. Now TurboTax online thinks that return was accepted and fully processed, and the IRS transcript only shows the updated unemployment credit as processed. How do we ensure that our credit based on the 1098T gets applied to our account?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

We amended our 2020 Return to include a 1098T we received after our return was accepted, and the IRS adjusted only the unemployment credit. How do we amend again?

The unemployment credit is separate and the IRS is sending it to everyone that qualifies, amending has nothing to do with that.

Amended returns are currently taking about 6 months to process so you have a while to wait for the 1098T refund.

Do not amend again or that can delay it all for up to a year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
kmgrave

Just checking, after we submitted our amended return, it did show up on the "amended return status" tool, and said it has been adjusted...This was received by the IRS in April, and shows it was adjusted on the same day we received our unemployment additional refund. Do you think they are still processing our other credit via our amended return?

Yes, they should be.

You can check the status of your amended return at this link.
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@kmgrave 

It can't be a coincidence that1040-X was adjusted two days after the UCE was processed separately.

The same thing happened to my niece's amended return.

It happened to take 16 weeks - four months, not six months.

evidently the 1040-X was being held up.

@fanfare wrote:

@kmgrave 

It can't be a coincidence that1040-X was adjusted two days after the UCE was processed separately.

The same thing happened to my niece's amended return.

It happened to take 16 weeks - four months, not six months.

evidently the 1040-X was being held up.

I believe that I read recently on the IRS website or in an IRS alert that was e-mailed, that if you amend in addition to the IRS automatically applying the UCE refund, then the IRS will automatically update the  amended return to reflect that but it will not affect any other reason for amending which will be processed normally.  (I'll post that reference if I can find it again - I did not save it.)

kmgrave

I'm just very confused because TurboTax and the IRS say that they received my amended return on the 29th of April, but my updated transcript for 2020 shows they received it on the 15th of April, before I filed it, which I tool to mean that was when they automatically started reviewing returns that had claimed unemployment to revise/update that. However, the amended return status reflects the 29th and shows that it was adjusted, again, on the same date we received the additional refund, but only the unemployment addition. I'm just concerned that we filed our amended too close to them automatically adjusting for UEC and they aren't actually processing our amended return for 2020 that includes the 1098T and resulting credit. I guess if worse comes to it, I'll amend again to reflect the 1098T, but my issue there is that TurboTax is telling me I already amended it to include that, and won't let me update that paperwork showing it did not get reviewed by the IRS. 

You will just have to wait for the IRS to process the amended return which would not have been even looked at before  (A) the original return was fully processed and this year (B) the correction had been taken care of.  Now (C) the 1040X you filed could take 6 months or more to process this year and all you can do is wait.  

kmgrave

I mean, considering how difficult it is to talk to the IRS on a normal year, waiting is really the only option I have. It's just beyond frustrating, as dealing with taxes always is, and this year is just an extra special level of WTF. Thanks for replies everyone!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies