Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment tax refund Ca

I received and extra refund check in the mail 2 months ago from my state (Ca) and no it was not a state Stimulus check It was an actual state refund. I filed my taxes back in Feb before the law went into effect/ received fed and state tax then next mont in March... so I ended up paying fed taxes on the 10,200. I only got the extra Ca state tax refund because I'm single with a dependent so the state owned me more child income tax...  it that is the case why does it seem like I'm not getting Unemployment refund from fed? My transcript has not change since July and which the last change was only 290 $0 owed but my income changed on my Transcript the 10,200 was taken off.... this is frustrating and confusing not to mention I have heard 3 different things from what turbotax thinks may be the case. Any advice?? I'm wanting to know because if I just act like I'm going to amend even though I'm not fully going through with it my state changes to the extra refund I did receive my fed stays at 0 and this message in the bottom right says to amend. Nothing makes sense anymore IMG_7024.jpeg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

We cannot see your tax return.   We do not know what the state of CA did or why they sent you an "extra" refund.   CA did not tax unemployment in the first place, so the extra refund from the state had nothing to do with unemployment.   Ask the state if you do not know for sure what that refund was for.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

As for the extra federal refund for unemployment that was taxed:

So far the IRS has issued over 8 million of those “extra” refunds for tax on unemployment.   The IRS has not announced when the next batch will be sent out, but they are still working on them.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/taxes/more-unemployment-tax-refunds-are-arriving-but-when-here...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

As I said the extra refund check was for them recalculating the child earned income tax. I know because I spoke to the state Department already.  

Okay---then you just need to be patient until the IRS sends you a refund for the tax on the first $10,200 of unemployment that you paid when you filed your federal return before the tax law changed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 5.36.00 PM.jpg

IMG_7024.jpeg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies