turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsdjd

I do not see form 8615 on Turbo Tax. I need it to file my sons u earned income. All I see is 1099 music. How can I find it on Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

I do not see form 8615 on Turbo Tax. I need it to file my sons u earned income. All I see is 1099 music. How can I find it on Turbo Tax?

Form 8615 is Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income. To find Form 8615 please follow the steps below. I have also included additional information as it pertains to Form 8615 if needed below. 

• Login to your TurboTax Online account.
  • Select the “Take me to my return” button.
  • Click on “Tax Tools” on the left menu bar.
  • Select "Tools".
  • Click on "Topics Search"
  • Type in 8615 and you should see this topic now highlighted in the list, click the "Go" button to step through the interview process and review/edit your entries.

Additional Information:

In General, the first $1,050 worth of a child's unearned income is tax-free. The next $1,050 is taxed at the child's income tax rate for 2017. Anything above $2,100, however, is taxed at the rate that applies to the child's parents, which usually is higher than the child's rate. This tax treatment has gained a nickname: the "kiddie tax." Calculating how much tax applies to the child's income is the purpose of Form 8615

How do I report my child's investment income?

Hello. I do not have a child or dependent. I selected no and the review STILL has me go back every time and edit the 8615

For anyone else wading through the Form 8615 with Turbotax, it was important for me to discover I think you must go into the 'forms' part instead of the 'step by step' part of the software.   

Once looking at the 8615 forms, you have to right click (on Microsoft PCs, anyway) and click "override", at which point you can control the form's calculation of whether you want the form to say "YES" or "NO" to this, the kiddie tax. 

My TT had assigned the return to 8615/Kiddie tax=NO, but in the case of the return I'm doing for a college student family member, I determined that the person DID have to file 8615 with YES.  After I did that, the correct kiddie tax was applied.  Oh Joy!  BTW I'm using the stand-alone Premier product and I'm not a tax professional.

cha41lil

tur

cha41lil

turbotax keeps stating the government has not released form 8516 yet..I need that form to complete my e-file

when is it slated to be released

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Do you mean form 8615? Form 8615 will be available on 03/06/2020. 

Please click TurboTax Federal Individual Form Availability to learn more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ChipD
Returning Member

I believe the unearned income calculation on the 8615 to be incorrect for TY 2020.  I've read the first $2200 is tax free, then the next $2650 is taxed at 10%.  Turbo tax is not doing this

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/what-is-the-kiddie-tax/00/25913

ChipD
Returning Member

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

To fill out Form 8615 in TurboTax:

• Type child’s income in Search in the upper right
  • Click Jump to child’s income

For 2020, a child must file Form 8615 if all of the following conditions apply:

• The child has more than $2,200 in unearned income
  • The child is required to file a tax return
  • The child does not file a joint tax return with a spouse
  • At least one of the child's parents is alive
  • The child is within certain age limits

​​​​​​​Learn more at What is IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

ChipD
Returning Member

as I did further research I have since found out the link I added above was for 2018-19 only.  however I still believe Turbotax is calculating unearned income incorrectly for TY 2020.  

If is sometimes better to file a separate tax return for your son's unearned income.  You can use TurboTax Free File to file it at no cost if the amount of income he received qualifies.  Try both ways to see which gives you the best return.

Here are the directions for reporting and paying the Kiddie Tax on your return.

ChipD
Returning Member

I have filed a separate tax form for my son.  I feel Turbo Tax is calculating the unearned income tax incorrectly.  he has unearned income over $2200.   I understand the first $1100 is not taxed.   how is the remaining unearned income taxed?  I know I have to enter my income and it s/b at my rate but it does not seem that turbo tax is doing that.  

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@ChipD

See the link below for TurboTax guarantees. Turbo Tax Guarantees

How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee or 100% Accurate, Expert Approved Guarantee? How to submit a claim

What documents do I need to submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee? What documents are needed

ChipD
Returning Member

Can someone answer my question above.  How is unearned income taxed for a dependent on his own form if he has more than $2200 in unearned income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies