Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdmoyer

Turbo tax is saying my return is an amended return....It is NOT....I cannot look at the form or print to review & figure WHY...I cannot file it as is.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo tax is saying my return is an amended return....It is NOT....I cannot look at the form or print to review & figure WHY...I cannot file it as is.

Here's how to delete the Amended return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

And see this about the Oct 17 Deadline
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5538154

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Here's how to delete the Amended return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

And see this about the Oct 17 Deadline
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5538154

It may be best for you to talk in real time to TT Customer Support . They can even screen share with you if necessary to see what is going on.  
Here's how to be assigned a phone number to the proper department at TT Customer Support during the business hours shown below (it will not display when they are closed).

1) Go to https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
2) Choose the product platform you are using.
3)  Ask a question or keywords without quotes, and Submit.
4)  On next page, skip the suggested articles if they don't help.
5) Scroll down, and you should be able to enter the Support module to get a phone number. (That will be grayed out when they are closed).

tcs19d

Has anyone figured this out? These solutions are not working for me. Could there be some kind of glitch? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Although the original post says 2019 - it is from much earlier.  There was a merging of data last year, so everything more than a year old shows as 2019.   Use this link to start a new thread where many people will see.   Provide details when you ask your questions, such as the problem, what version you are using, online or desktop, etc...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MidnightRinger
Returning Member

Hi,

I've amended a 2019 return using the desktop version of Turbotax Premier but, the 1040-X form does not contain any of the numbers from the original tax return or the amended return.  It only has the amount originally refunded to me.  The change I made was to Schedule E and form 8582 but neither affected my income, tax liability, payments, etc.  Is the form supposed to be empty if none of the amounts on form 1040-X have changed or should it still populate the original amounts, the net change, and the correct amounts even if they didn't change?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@MidnightRinger If your Amended Return does not affect any amounts on your original filed return, you don't need to Amend, which is why your 1040X was mostly blank. 

Click this link for more info Do I Need to Amend?

If you were trying to generate Form 8582, make sure you didn't indicate that your rental property was a 'non-passive' activity. 

This link has more discussion on Form 8582

MidnightRinger
Returning Member

The IRS and the online TT expert responses say that if the cost basis or depreciation for a rental property has changed for a prior year then an amended return must be filed.  In my case these changes don't affect any of the amounts in the 1040-X.  They just affect the amounts in form 8582 and Schedule E which WILL affect my return once I sell the property in a future year.  So the question still remains - should the original and corrected amounts in 1040-X be filled in with the "Net Change" column = 0.0 or should they be blank?  FYI I am including form 1040-X along with only the forms that have changed, namely Schedule E and 8582.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, the original and corrected amounts in 1040-X should be filled in with the Net Change column = 0.0. These columns should not be blank.

If any changes were entered before starting the amended return, they must be deleted. The Amend must be triggered before changes so that there is an Original amount in Column A.

To establish the correct Form 8582 and Schedule E, even though there are no monetary changes, an Amended return can be filed. However, the instructions do not specifically describe the scenario you are describing. 

To be certain, see: Should I File an Amended Return?, to run through the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant.

For more information, see: Instructions for 2019 Form 1040-X.

[Edited 033/24/2021 | 6:19 AM PST]

@MidnightRinger

MidnightRinger
Returning Member

I’ve tried that several times from the original e-filed .tax file without success. It explicitly gives a message each time that it detected no changes.  

Here’s why this MUST be a bug.  I then changed a number that affected the AGI by $1.00 and miraculously all the 1040-X files were instantly populated!!

PLEASE HELP!!  I don’t want to manually override every amount field in the 1040-X

MidnightRinger
Returning Member

Sorry, in my previous post I meant to say “all the 1040-X amount FIELDS were instantly populated”

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@MidnightRinger, I do see that you have tried a couple of different things to get this issue resolved. It is best that you contact TurboTax customer support using the FAQ link provided below for further assistance with this issue:

TurboTax customer support

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies