Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to amend my 2021 return

Looks as if the 2021 forms needed for amended returns are available for TurboTax Premier Mac (as of 3/1/2022).  When I click on the amendment option on the TurboTax main page, it seems I have to type in all my information again.  It doesn't know my name or personal details, or any of the other data from the return I need to amend.  All I need to do is add a 1099-DIV that I forgot, but none of my W-2s, 1099s, etc. are displayed.  It never asks about my already submitted 2021 return.  Do I have to reenter all my data again? Can someone help me?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should not enter any W-2 information. The program may just start at that point since that is a common thing to do. You should see an option to skip over that and then see a list of your income by category. You should see a list of the income items you entered, one of which is the Interest and Dividends section where you can add your 1099-DIV. If not, then you do not have your original return open, so click on the File option on your menu bar and open up the tax file that you used to submit your tax return.

Once you have your tax return open, use the Other Tax Situations menu tab to find the Other Tax Forms option where you will see the Amend a return option.

@wawjr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

21 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

May I ask are you doing the amendment through TurboTax Premier or trying through TurboTax Online?

Hello Tiffany,

I'm trying to do it in my Mac desktop version of Turbotax Premier.  All I need to do is add another 1099-DIV.  The amendment process in Premier seems to want me to re-enter all my income tax data.  It doesn't ask me for the file containing my just submitted return (the one I want to amend), so I don't see how it can even calculate my tax amount.  Maybe Turbotax has not implemented the amendment process and a future update will be required?

Your insight would be appreciated.

Best regards.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

As it appears you have already started amending your return, we need to know the steps you took to amend your return.  Because you are using TurboTax Premier desktop, TurboTax recommends that you take these steps to amend your return. 

1. Open your TurboTax 2021 software (you must amend your 2021 return in the 2021 version of TurboTax)
  2. Select Amend a filed return, located near the bottom of the homepage
  3. Select the return you wish to amend, then Continue
  4. On the Did you already file your return? screen, select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2021 return
  5. Select Continue. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.
  6. On the next screen, select Update next to the info you need to change, then follow the onscreen instructions until you reach the screen Do you need to change anything else?
    • If you need to make more changes, repeat Step 6. When you’re done making changes, select Done 
  7. Carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return
  8. Don’t forget to select Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu when you save a copy of your amended return. This will preserve the tax return you originally filed
    • Name the copy you're saving so that you can distinguish it from the original, for example as 2021_amended_tax_return_Smith
  9. You can e-file your amended federal return in TurboTax, but only some states allow you to e-file your amended state return. We’ll walk you through the filing options for your state at the end of the amendment process.

Note:  Any changes you make to amend your federal return will automatically be transferred over to your state return. If you’re already amending your federal, you don’t have to make any changes to your state, unless you’re making state-specific changes.

Follow-up with additional information as appropriate.

@wawjr

Hello,

Thank you for your help.  What's happening doesn't quite match your list:

1.  I open Turbotax 2021 Premier for Mac.

2. On the home screen, under "Manage Your Returns", I see the option "Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS".  I click on that.

3.  Your next step says "select the return you wish to amend then, Continue."  The current screen says "We'll help you change (amend) your return" and has 3 bubbles containing "Step 1", "Step 2", and "Step 3".  There is nothing to click on to select the return I want to amend.  I click continue anyway.

4. On the next screen I click "Yes, I've already filed my return." and "I need to amend my 2021 return" and "Continue."

5.  On the next screen, since I need to add a 1099-DIV, I click on the "update" button next to wages and income.

6.  The next screen is titled "Let's get your W-2 info".  This is where I'm confused.  I don't need to change my W-2, and also I've already entered all my W-2 information in my original return.  Why is it asking me to re-enter it?  I never asks me to select the file containing my original return, so I'm confused about that, too.  Do I just re-enter my W-2 and keep going?  Will I have to re-enter all my wages and income info?

I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Bill

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should not enter any W-2 information. The program may just start at that point since that is a common thing to do. You should see an option to skip over that and then see a list of your income by category. You should see a list of the income items you entered, one of which is the Interest and Dividends section where you can add your 1099-DIV. If not, then you do not have your original return open, so click on the File option on your menu bar and open up the tax file that you used to submit your tax return.

Once you have your tax return open, use the Other Tax Situations menu tab to find the Other Tax Forms option where you will see the Amend a return option.

@wawjr

Do these amended returns get filed electronically or do they have to be mailed?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@Justmefromstrout  It depends on your reason for amending but primarily amended individual returns are able to be e-filed.

s438perk

I did not file my return electronically, so, I am not able to select amend a return on the home page.  I mailed it in because the IRS would not accept it electronically.  How do I amend my 2021 return now?  I received a K-1 this week that was unexpected.  

JulieS
Expert Alumni

You can still amend your tax return if you printed and mailed it in. 

Can you clarify your return status?

When you first log in, what do you see?

There should be some sort of message, like "Hi, let's keep working on your taxes!" or "Printed and mailed"

Thank so much for this answer. I had spent two hours on the phone with a very pleasant CSR but she was unable to resolve this issue. It is a shame that this issue was identified a month ago and Intuit hasn't fixed the program. My problem was exactly how Bill described it - there was no way to select the 2021 return in order just to edit the specific item for the Amended form. You answer worked.

JVH101

I've been trying to amend my 2021 return due to fact we need to remove our daughter from being a dependent.  Problem is each time I open my file used to file my 2021 taxes to amend it, as soon as I hit that I've already filed the 2021 Taxes, TurboTax gives me a >$4000 refund when my filed taxes showed that I owed >9K.  The simple fact of removing our dependent should only increase my tax liability by $500 not decrease and give me a whopping refund.  I've tried this multiple times with copies of my original file and each time i select 2021, it jumps not to 0 but rather to $4500+ refund.  This is wrong.  

I've even run a test filing copy without our daughter and the amount owed is exactly $500 more than original filed return.  TurboTax - I need your help to fix this so I can file the right sort of amendment and not send in something that's completely wrong.  

Thank you.  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

That might have to do with your stimulus payment. The program may be showing it refundable when you start the amended return but later you will see a question asking if you received it and when you say yes, the stimulus refund will be removed and your return will be correct.

So, I suggest you complete the whole amended return to see if it is correct when you are finished.

I want to file an amended 2021 federal return, BUT...

I can't find "Amend a filed return" on my home page.  Under "Tax returns and documents" there is no Amend option when 2021 is selected. When I go into my federal forms and click "Other Tax situations" I do see an Amend option, but the only year offered is 2020 or earlier.

I could wait until Monday, but I'd like to get this finished as soon as possible.

Does it show your 2021 return was efiled and accepted or mailed?   Did you use the Online version or the Desktop program?   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies