Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS says take action tax topic 151 your appeal rights

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you received and letter from the IRS proposing an adjustment to your tax return.  First you need to determine if the IRS is correct.  This is often the case due to not including a W-2, or a 1099-DIV, etc. that you may not have received in the mail. If you determine that the IRS is correct, then you simply need to pay (if you owe) or if the change benefits you, agree with the change and they will send you a refund.  If you disagree with the IRS, you should notify them in writing.  For help resolving the issue go to Contact Us Re IRS Letter.

View solution in original post

71 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you received and letter from the IRS proposing an adjustment to your tax return.  First you need to determine if the IRS is correct.  This is often the case due to not including a W-2, or a 1099-DIV, etc. that you may not have received in the mail. If you determine that the IRS is correct, then you simply need to pay (if you owe) or if the change benefits you, agree with the change and they will send you a refund.  If you disagree with the IRS, you should notify them in writing.  For help resolving the issue go to Contact Us Re IRS Letter.

Will my bars ever pop back up or do I need to send something back before my wmr bars update

I got the same message and I'm sure it's about taxes on unemployment benefits. Will they just take out what I owe and send the rest?
ryankt25

@mandymartini I got tax topic 151 no reference codes and only received a small portion of my refund. I call everyday and they keep telling me I’m not being reviewed- yet I didn’t get my full refund. They also say no letter has been generated. Smh this is crazy
NuNu1

Ok

Tqj0000

Hey, I’m having this exact problem now. Did you ever find out what was the problem? Please help

Why do you say if could be a dividend? I’ve not found anything supporting that but we were flagged with a TT 151 and we did forget a dividend. Looking for proof please. 

@DDollar  Can you please explain how it could be a dividend? I ask because we were flagged with a TT 151. And we forgot a dividend. But I’ve not seen any posts anywhere stating that’s the case. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please click Topic No. 151 Your Appeal Rights to learn more.

The IRS works with taxpayers to try to settle tax disputes in an effort to avoid court proceedings through an administrative appeals process. The role of the Office of Appeals (Appeals) is to make an independent review of a tax dispute and to consider the positions taken by both the taxpayer and the IRS. Appeals strive to resolve tax disputes in a fair way and remain impartial to both parties.

The IRS will send you a report and/or letter that will explain the proposed adjustments or proposed or taken collection action. The correspondence also tells you of your right to request a conference with an Appeals or Settlement Officer, as well as how to make your request for a conference. In addition to examination adjustments, many other things can be appealed, such as penalties, interest, trust fund recovery penalties, liens, levies, and offers in compromise. If you request an Appeals conference, be prepared to support your position with records and documentation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok thanks for posting the exact info that the irs gave me and answering nothing, obviously there has to be a better answer I filed 2/26/21 and now I received this tax topic 151 3/6/21 all information the same as 3 previous years nothing different claiming my 3 kids for eitc

I have the same topic and haven't received a letter yet

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are posting on a thread from last tax season. Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@BrandonHeiney

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the article from the IRS here in regards to Tax Topic 151.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies