Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

The IRS informed that my 2019 tax is off and that I owe more money. They said the computation of what Turbo Tax put in the form is off (line 12a -1040 form?

IRS says -Line 12a -1040 form is wrong on calculation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

The IRS informed that my 2019 tax is off and that I owe more money. They said the computation of what Turbo Tax put in the form is off (line 12a -1040 form?

Line 12a is the tax on the line 11b taxable income.   What did they change that changed the tax?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Did the CP2000  indicate something else was incorrect ?   Line 12A is the tax computation which the program usually gets 100% correct and it is based on the data entries you made on the return so review what the letter says and what you entered in the return to see what is different. 

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

The tax that the IRS told me what they got was 100% correct when I did the calculation from the tax table, I'm at the 24% rate and the tax is $28,765 and 24% of the the amount above $168,400. Is there a way to change that tax rate so I can input it myself? I looked at my 2020 return and the tax in block 12a does not reflect the calculation as above. So, I'm concerned about my 2020 taxes- I may owe another $800 +

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

IRS said that figure on Line 11b was correct but the IRS calculated the tax using the 24 % married jointly tax table. When I did the calculation to what the IRS said it was correct. The tax for the 24% filing is $28765 plus 24% of the amt over $168400. The turbo tax was lower

@paulkayporsha-ya wrote:

IRS said that figure on Line 11b was correct but the IRS calculated the tax using the 24 % married jointly tax table. When I did the calculation to what the IRS said it was correct. The tax for the 24% filing is $28765 plus 24% of the amt over $168400. The turbo tax was lower

Did you have any capital gains and/or qualified dividends in 2019 and 2020?   If so, those are taxed at a lower tax rate than ordinary income.   With those items, the calculation is done on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet instead of solely the Tax Tables.   Does your 2019 return have a QDCGT Worksheet?

Also, if you have a PDF of your 2019 return with all the worksheets, look at the Form 1040 Worksheet.   It should indicate the method that TurboTax used to figure the amount of tax.   

You can also look at the 2020 Form 1040 Worksheet to see the method that TurboTax is using to calculate your 2020 tax, and the 2020 QDCGT Worksheet, if applicable.

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

Yes, I do have that and it did cause the tax to be at the figure the IRS is disputing. I guess I would need to take that to the IRS for clarification. Is that correct? Thx

By any chance did you MAIL in the return ?    If so this may be an IRS date entry error so you need to disagree with their conclusion and respond with a copy of the return and the tax worksheet in the program ... save a PDF of the return to see the QDCGTW showing how the program computed the taxes.  

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE IRS/STATE

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

this is almost certainly an IRS error for the reason that if it was a Turbotax calculation error that would affect virtually every return filed using it. if you had long-term capital gains and/or qualifying dividends your tax would be lower than what would be computed using the tax tables.  you say you did. that gives further credence that there was an error by the IRS.   

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

Thank you all for the help. Yes, I do have that worksheet and will dispute their claim. Will let you know. But thank you again for the assist.

paulkayporsha-ya
Returning Member

Thank you all again. I had to pay, which they suggested or more penalties would be assessed. And they said to write to dispute the charges for a refund. I would say they got me by the gonads but I thank everyone for the help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies