turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bobpad
Returning Member

The IRS Changed My Return Without Notifying Me or Supplying Details

On my 2020 Federal Tax Return I applied the total refund of about $4,500. to my 2021 Estimated Taxes. I Got a notice from the IRS that they changed my tax return (1040SR) and reduced my refund. applied to my estimated by about $1,400.

I never got any notice from the IRS that there were errors in my 2020 return, or what they were.

All my internet and telephone attempts to contact the IRS, and get a copy of my 1040SR with their changes have been unsuccessful.

Isn't there anyway to contact the IRS, that works at the present time?

Before submitting my return I ran all the Turbotax checks. And almost of the data on income was downloaded directly from fincial instituitions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

You can view your account online ...  https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Try  calling to check the status of your refund at the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

If they can't assist you can try the Tax Advocate in your state...

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

Bobpad
Returning Member

I haven't tried again since your reply to my post.

But I tried most of your suggestions without success.

I went through the telephone tree from that phone number several times. The last time when I got through the whole tree; it essentially ended with a message "not available".

I went through the internet to request a copy of my 2020 1040. It never came.

I found the phone number for the IRS Taxpayer Advocate in Columbia, SC, and left a voicemail with my phone number.

Very frustrated. Find it hard to believe that the IRS changed my tax return without any notification. It was only because I applied my refund to my 2021 estimated tax that I found out.

Did you look at your account at the IRS ... your answer may be there:      

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

I don't understand....How did you find out?  The IRS should eventually mail you a letter.  Check over your return, especially the payments and credits.   Did you enter too much Estimates last year?

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered the wrong amounts in the 2 boxes.  If you entered the total you got for both rounds in the same box it would think you didn't get the other one.  The IRS knows how much they already sent you.  You might have tried to claim it again on line 30.

It could take a month or more  after you get the refund to get the explanation letter. 

Bobpad
Returning Member

When I tried to set up an account with the IRS. I got to the last step of verifying with a bank account or credit card account. It wouldn't accept my entries, and it said it would send me the information by UPS mail to complete the registration.

Bobpad
Returning Member

When I filed my 2020 return I applied my total refund to my 2021 estimated taxes. The notice I got was that my estimated taxes may be underpaid; because the IRS changed my return and reduced my refund.

I got about 1/3 of the maximum first stimulus payment, and none of the second stimulus payment and none of the 2nd stimulus payment (because of a one time insurance settlement in 2019).

Most of the time it is the phone # that is the problem ... your phone must be in your name as the primary on the account.  Next it is the CC ... again it must be in your name as the primary and the billing address must be the same as on the last filed return.  If anything doesn't match the have to mail you a code. 

Good news is once you get your online access to the IRS system it is good forever and they have redesigned the platform which makes it much more user friendly.

Bobpad
Returning Member

All of my 2020 refund was applied to my estimated taxes. So I really do not know when the partial refund was applied to my 2021 estimated taxes.

Any amount "applied" from the prior year return is always applied to the first estimated payment no matter when the return is processed.  

they took money away without notifying me

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the adjustment, but it usually takes about three weeks to arrive. If you got your refund already, check the IRS Where’s my refund? site to see what they adjusted and how it impacted your refund. It may take several days for the site to be updated.

For more information, please see the TurboTax FAQ below: 

Why is my refund direct-deposit or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

@pedersonnancy61

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies