turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

So like an idiot before I got my federal return, I filed my amended return. I owe more than I’m getting back on my return, but im still getting some back. I can’t get ahold of a person with IRS. Will they take that amount out of what they owe me and pay me the difference?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

I amended my return and now it's saying I owe money but I only reduced my refund so I shouldn't owe anything

No, different departments of the IRS process original e-files and amendments, so it is unlikely they will make adjustments and send you the difference.

It is also not something you can clear up on the phone, so don't bother trying.

You are likely to get your original refund, possibly delayed, and then get billed for the balance due on your amendment. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks so much for the quick response! Yes I tried calling and of course can’t get a person. I don’t have the money to pay them and was going to pay the amended amount I owe once I got my return. It’s been 8 weeks- no return! I filed the amendment almost 4 weeks ago and they said it could take 16 weeks to process. Can I file an extension on what I owe? This is beyond frustrating it makes me wonder what we even pay taxes for 😡 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, extensions are for more time to file, not to pay. You should pay as much you can of what you owe before the due, April 18, 2022. That is three weeks away, so maybe the refund will come in that time and solve the problem.

It’s so weird that they actually owe me money that they over charged me for and can be late paying me back but I can’t be late paying them back or there’s penalties🙄

thanks for your help! I appreciate it 

I'm getting smaller amount of amended taxes then my original amount and they want me2 pay. Are they holding my original taxes until I do my amended ones? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

That is unlikely.  The IRS would not know that you are amending your return or why you are amending unless you have already filed the amended return.  

It is generally best to wait until your original return has been fully processed and you have received your refund before you file an amended return.  Each return is treated separately and they are processed separately.  

@JohnCooper

Javeon1

Cancel my amended return 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

As AnnetteB6 said: "It is generally best to wait until your original return has been fully processed and you have received your refund before you file an amended return.  Each return is treated separately and they are processed separately."

Hold on to your amended return, and file it (and make a payment if necessary) after the original return is completely processed.

I know it is right to wait until the original document is processed. However, it is almost April 18th and I dont want to wait over the deadline and have to pay the penalty. I realized there are two 1099 that I forgot to file. Originally, there is a refund that they need to pay back. After these two 1099, I owe some tax but it is much less than what they should refund me back. Should I amend it now and pay what I owe? Or should I wait until my refund is processed and then amend it? I do not want to pay any penalty for those two 1099 :( 

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, wait until you receive your refund to submit an Amended Return.   An amendment will not 'catch up' to your original return and correct it.  They are processed separately, and can take 12-16 weeks to process.

If you owe money as a result of the correction, you should include a check or money order with your 1040-X submission. 

You can pay the balance you owe online, using Direct Pay or the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) to avoid/reduce penalties. 

Here's more info on Amending a 2021 Return and about Tax Penalties.

@guohaiyi0527

If I wait after April 18th to let the original return be processed, will IRS assess a penalty regarding the charge that I owe due to the amended amount? 

Originally, I had a refund of $5000, which I still have not received yet. I amended the return (have not submitted it yet) and I should pay out  $3000. Should I amend the return now and pay the $3000? Or should I wait until the original return is processed? I just don't want them to charge me penalties on the $3000 if I do not pay them now. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, I would submit the amended return and have it postmarked by April 18 and pay the $3000.  They do not offset the original return so you will receive the $5000 refund in full.

keidra22
Returning Member

Why does my amended return say I owe but I have not received my refund yet. What should I do?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

When you amend your return, the program assumes that you received the original refund or paid the original amount due. 

Your refund on your original return must have been too high, so now you have to pay back part of it. 

Ideally, you pay the amount due shown on your 1040X by Monday, April 18, and later you receive your refund as shown on your original return. 

If you can't pay the balance due now, you can wait until you receive your refund and then pay back the amount due, or you can make a partial payment. You will be penalized for not paying on time. 

The failure-to-pay penalty is usually .5% of the tax owed for each month, or part of a month that your payment is late, up to a maximum of 25%. The balance due will also accrue 3% interest until paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies