turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mylove4yp
Returning Member

Taxes refund

I have filed my taxes in April and have not got them what do I need too do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Taxes refund

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

gh

Taxes refund

I have been checking and it has been 18 weeks and finally today I when asking for a Transcript that I had not filed for year 2019. I do have a copy of the email  from you that the 2019 e-file tax return was accepted.

Taxes refund

@ gh wrote:

I have been checking and it has been 18 weeks and finally today I when asking for a Transcript that I had not filed for year 2019. I do have a copy of the email  from you that the 2019 e-file tax return was accepted.

If the IRS has not as yet completed processing of the federal tax return, the federal tax transcript will not be available.

If accepted by the IRS and you have a tax refund, use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Taxes refund

I would like to share how I was able to reach someone at the IRS to understand why after 6 months, I still had not received my refund.  Be prepared for a long hold - my call took a total of 1hr & 47 mins.  HOWEVER, after the first 45 min hold, the agent told me a letter was supposedly sent on 9 April 2020, requiring my identification be verified.  I was transferred to the ID Verification department and after another 45 min hold, the agent asked specific quesitons regarding my 2019 and 2018 Federal Returns and CLEARED MY RETURN FOR PROCESSING!!!  Both agents admitted that because of COVID, its possible the letter was NEVER mailed.  I asked if a second letter would be sent and the agent said "unlikely".  If I had not called, my return would still be on hold.  In less than one week of calling, I checked online and my refund will be sent next week - exactly 10 days after I called the IRS. 

Here are specific instructions on "How to call" to speak with a live agent 

1. The IRS telephone number is  1-800-829-1040,  and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

The almost 2 hour hold was absolutely worth it! 

Good luck!

Taxes refund

Wow... this info is great! I was worried for my refund as well efiled July and yet yours it took 6mos. I'll definitely try to call and charge my wireless phone when I called, ty!

Taxes refund

Thanks for this info. I will try as well as I've been waiting 6 months for our return with no change in status. Do you happen to know if this identity verification can be done on the IRS website or is this something that you have to speak to an agent for? In any event I will call and prepare to be on hold a while. Thanks again!

Taxes refund

Good news - I received my refund via direct deposit 10 days after my phone call with the IRS!

Because I didn't receive the letter, I was able to verify my ID via phone, but that was after the second 45 minute hold.   Strangely enough, I received a follow-up letter regarding verifying my ID three days AFTER I received my refund.  There was an option to verify online, so I logged in to see if I needed to re-verify my ID but my record could not be found.  I hope that was because I had already verified via phone.  Regardless, I have my refund and I'm very happy!

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies