turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus and Dependents

My gf put me down as a dependant on her 2019 tax return before I started receiving SSI. I could't claim the 1200 because of my dependant status. I was wondering would I receive the 1200 in stimulus in 2021 since I'm not a dependant anymore? Do I have to file anything? Thanks for any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stimulus and Dependents

You do not put SSI on a tax return.  SSI is not taxable and there are no documents sent to you to use on a tax return.   But SSI recipients who are NOT claimed as dependents should be able to get a stimulus check.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Stimulus and Dependents

If you are not someone else's dependent for tax year 2020 then when you file a 2020 tax return you should be able to get the stimulus money.  That money was an advance on a credit that can be claimed on a 2020 tax return.  But make sure your GF does not mess up and leave you on her next tax return and claim you again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Stimulus and Dependents

".....I started receiving SSI..."  

Are you receiving SSI  (Supplemental Security Income)  or Social Security benefits?  They are not the same thing.  Be clear on what you are getting--when you ask questions about it, it is important for us to understand which kind of income you have.  If you receive SSI you will not receive any sort of tax document for it in January.   If you are receiving Social Security benefits you will receive a SSA1099 in January.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

Stimulus and Dependents

Sorry for not clarifying. I receive Supplemental Security Income. Can I or do I still fill out a tax return? My gf won't be putting me down as a dependant for this year. Thanks for the advice.

Stimulus and Dependents

@YearJ wrote:

Sorry for not clarifying. I receive Supplemental Security Income. Can I or do I still fill out a tax return? My gf won't be putting me down as a dependant for this year. Thanks for the advice.

SSI is not reported on a tax return.  If that is the only income that you receive then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

Stimulus and Dependents

You do not put SSI on a tax return.  SSI is not taxable and there are no documents sent to you to use on a tax return.   But SSI recipients who are NOT claimed as dependents should be able to get a stimulus check.

Stimulus and Dependents

Ok, I see. So I sit back and wait to see if I get the stimulus?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies