turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Still waiting for our tax return , filed injured spouse on Feb. 14. When can we expect the return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies

Still waiting for our tax return , filed injured spouse on Feb. 14. When can we expect the return

If you filed the Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed by the IRS, then processing takes about 8 weeks.

If you filed Form 8379 with your original return, it can take up to 11 weeks to process an electronically-filed return or up to 14 weeks if you filed a paper return. More details are here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

If it's been longer than the number of weeks mentioned above, you can call the IRS to check the status of it. You can call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. After you successfully file your return with TurboTax, it's handled from there by the IRS and/or your state. They process returns and handle refunds.

Any word on your refund? I would appreciate a update
Smroedell

We are still waiting as well. Called the IRS and after days of trying to get through, I finally reached someome and she informed us that the Injured Spouse department is behind and getting refunds out as fast as possible. We have been waiting 15 weeks now.

We have also been waiting 15 weeks

Ugh same here! Still waiting. Bet if I owed they wouldn't wait for my delay

I am also waiting on my refund... I waited 30 days called and they made a "note" for the injured spouse dept. I waited another 30 days and they sent them a "memo", now finally I got a letter of approval for said amount and they said it could take up to 3 weeks to receive my check. Going on the 4th week now I called and the irs said it could take up to 30 days after receiving that letter for me to receive my check... Lol.

Same here!! Going on 17 weeks for me! This is is my third time filing taxes for my husband and myself w/the 8379 and I’m shocked it’s taking this long. Our state tax refund was done within a few weeks! Good to know I’m not alone in this. I keep checking the website....it always says received and “processing”🤦‍
My hubby tries calling them and could not get through to a real live person. This is awful!

We need to figure out how to charge these guys interest because I know if I owed them, I would end up in jail, bank account frozen and wages garnished. And if you are past your deadline they hunt you down with letters and even show up.... Lol good ole hiearchy right?

This is beyond ridiculous. I filed mine in April and had to call because it was past the 11 weeks. If they are backed up...they need to hire more people temporarily. Is there anyway to escalate these issues?

I filed mine together in April also. Called last week and they said my official 11 weeks were on Monday. Called Monday and they said nobody touched it so they extended 30 days. So now I have to wait 27 days to call them again

This is what I had to do. I filed my at the end of Feb. I called 30 days after filing they said noone had touched it yet and they put a "note" called 30 days later and noone still had touched it so they sent a "memo". Finally 30 days later I called again and it was being processed. A week later I got a letter stating that I would receive my check aslong as there were no other offsets. On my fourth week now and nothing. I have called 2xs last week to figure out if my check was comming and the IRS agent just told me it is still being processed. 2nd time I called the IRS agent said it was still being processed that they would send me to the Injured Spouse Claim dept. They transferred my call and although I had already waited 40 minutes on the phone to talk to an IRS agent I waited 20 more after being transferred then I hung up due to lack of patience waiting on the phone for that long... Lol. Crossing my fingers hoping that I get it this week even though the week is almost over with. 

I called the treasury and they gave me a different number to call.  I got through to a live person in less than 10 minutes.  same first 6 numbers as the regular IRS line.  Ends in 3676

Hey jumperj11, I've contacted my district congressional office and they seem to be super responsive in trying to help escalate the issue.

I will try escalating to congressional office. I already called the IRS and they put a so called memo for them to take action within 30 days. What a joke. If someone was holding up their money, they wouldn't be happy either. Last year I got mine in six weeks. The rep told me they were backed up from the shutdown. Bunch of excuses and still unacceptable.
Manage cookies