turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I still transfer my 2020 Turbo Tax return when I begin my 2021 return given the fact that I made a mistake on that return and had to pay IRS more money?

I am worried that since the 2020 return shows less money due than I actually paid that transferring it to my 2021 return will also, somehow, make my 2021 return incorrect.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Should I still transfer my 2020 Turbo Tax return when I begin my 2021 return given the fact that I made a mistake on that return and had to pay IRS more money?

It depends what the correction was for. If it was for an item and affects an amount that will carryover into your 2021 income tax return, you can amend your 2020 income tax return, in TurboTax, to match what the IRS corrected. You won't send in the amended return but you'll have the correct information when you transfer your .tax data file. If you're not sure if your 2020 information will affect your 2021 tax return, do the amend to be on the safe side.

See the following:

1. If you did your taxes with TurboTax Online, see How do I access a prior-year return?
  2. How do I amend my 2020 return? 
  3. How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

It depends what the correction was for. If it was for an item and affects an amount that will carryover into your 2021 income tax return, you can amend your 2020 income tax return, in TurboTax, to match what the IRS corrected. You won't send in the amended return but you'll have the correct information when you transfer your .tax data file. If you're not sure if your 2020 information will affect your 2021 tax return, do the amend to be on the safe side.

See the following:

1. If you did your taxes with TurboTax Online, see How do I access a prior-year return?
  2. How do I amend my 2020 return? 
  3. How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies