turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file a 2nd amended Federal Return if I filed by mail on 3/4/2020 and the IRS website says they have no info/status (like they never received it). Lost possibly?

Not sure what I should at this point.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Should I file a 2nd amended Federal Return if I filed by mail on 3/4/2020 and the IRS website says they have no info/status (like they never received it). Lost possibly?

The IRS has not processed paper filed tax return for several months due to the pandemic.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

IRS website for the status of a mailed federal amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

According to the IRS more than 10 MILLION pieces of mail accumulated while they were shut down so that will take some time to open and process all those envelopes and then the contents ... patience will be needed by all during this unusual time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies