Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Smitfama

Second Stimulus and TurboTax

If we get our second stimulus check in January 2021, do we claim it in our 2020 taxes or wait until our 2021 filing?

Yes you enter it on your 2020 return now.  The year you got it doesn't matter.  If you don't report it Turbo Tax will give it to you again, which would be wrong and double.

Smitfama

Thank you!  I almost did it wrong!

gemerling

While we were eligible for $1200, the direct deposit was returned because we had closed that account. On Fri-day, 2/5, we did receive a check for the amount. Since it was received in February, do we still list it in our 2020 return, or can we list it for our 2021 return?  w

@gemerling wrote:

While we were eligible for $1200, the direct deposit was returned because we had closed that account. On Fri-day, 2/5, we did receive a check for the amount. Since it was received in February, do we still list it in our 2020 return, or can we list it for our 2021 return?  w

The stimulus payments are all advanced tax credits based on the 2020 federal tax return.  The stimulus payments EIP1 and EIP2 are both entered on the 2020 federal tax return.

Enter that you got it on your 2020 return now.  Otherwise Turbo Tax will give it to you again which would be wrong and double.

I too did not receive the 2nd round stimulus for my dependent.  When going through the stimulus verification section in Turbo Tax the program says we received all payments due and will not allow me to file for the missing portion.  How can I file for the missing portion in Turbo Tax?

I still haven’t seen mine and I’m already in Mid Feb. I need an answer

Looks like they missed you. I believe they mailed out the final "second stimulus" checks/cards last week. 

When you fill out your (Turbo) taxes, it will ask you (twice, I think) about how much you got from the stimulus. Just indicate that you missed out, the software will include the relevant forms to the IRS, and you'll have your stimulus -- with your refund -- in about 21 days.  Good luck!

@Irene2805 

Thanks for these step-by-step instructions. It says that I'm eligible for both stimulus payments. I only received payment #1 so I've followed your instructions and it still doesn't change the amount of refund due to me nor does it show up on line 30 of my 1040 when I review my return documents. Any further suggestions?

I feel you. I’ve used TurboTax three years in a row and all I’ve had is problems. Last year I could get any help or talk to a real person despite paying the premium fees. And it came late. I always opt to pay fir their services separately so less hands are on my return. This year a tax consultant from turbo tax told me to “file now, get the money, amend it later “. Now I knew that didn’t sound right but he kept throwing in my face he was doing this for twenty years and he knew more. 
use credit karma. I tried to this year but didn’t know how to import my last tax return. They’re actually free and they get you your money faster. I know this from personal experience with friends and family. They get their refund in like two weeks tops and it’s direct deposit from the irs. 

Boiler

Do I really claim a credit although IRS website and letter say paid?   I never obtained check or deposit.  

Long story short - second stimulus payment went to a closed bank account, was told to just claim it on my 2020 taxes and have it deposited in with my regular tax refund, filed my taxes and 3 days later after filing, received a paper check from the IRS for the second impact payment. Now my federal refund has an accepted status on TurboTax, but every time I check the IRS website it says it's still being processed and when a date is available, it will be posted. Do I cash the $600 check and hope the IRS adjusts my refund direct deposit? Do I ignore the check and just wait for my refund? This is all quite confusing...

F4EPilot

Just sent a long and involved three part message/question please acknowledge?

F4EPilot

My son, Michael [removed], filed for 2019 on July 3, 2020.  Michael's Turbo Tax computation computed his refund was $674.00.  However betweenMichael filing his taxes and receiving his refund, UnitedBank (Farmers Bank of Frankfort, KY) was bought out by WestBanco.  WestBanco promptly added three numbers to the front of the account number assigned by previous UnitedBank.  To date no refund has appeared in his "updated" WestBanco account.  WestBanco insists his refund check was never sent by the IRS thru Turbo Tax.  

Secondly, when contacting Turbo Tax Michael was transferred to a Robin D.  twice even though the calls were a week apart.  

Third, Robin D. insisted Michael pay $5.00 by credit card even though Michael was using my Turbo Tax (Been a member for 47 years).  Is this $5.00 charge a usual policy?

We were concerned that once he was transferred to Robin D. twice with so much time in-between and why she asked for the $5.00 fee.  

Turbo tax may have received a similar email from me about this subject within the last 2-4 days.  

Please provide some kind of acknowledgement ASAP and answer as to what happened to Michael [removed] refund as soon as you can.  Michael has been out of work because of the pandemic and he could sure the money.

Thanks

Henry [removed]

[removed]

if you need it:   [email address removed]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies