turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Second Stimulus and TurboTax

I filed my taxes last year and used the refund to pay for the service, and like many others I'm stuck in limbo regarding the second stimulus payments.  If I read all of this correctly, the IRS would have sent payment to TurboTax like they did for my refund last year.  Intuit would then need to forward the money like they did from the refund (except this time not taking their payment out).  Both IRS and Intuit are pointing fingers rather than solving the problem.

I'll make this clear.  If TurboTax doesn't take an active role in resolving this issue and I have to file for a refund credit next year I'm going to be *$&$^@^.  I will *never* use this product again even though I've used it most of my life.  This is the first ever time I've had any issue that needed TurboTax to step up and take action, and if doing nothing but pointing the blame back at the IRS is the action you take then I guess I've been using the wrong company all these years.

To be frank, finding an electronic filing company isn't what it used to be... there isn't just one company doing it anymore.  I probably am not the only person who feels like this.  So if you want to continue to be a leader in this business then LEAD us to a solution!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Millions of Americans, including some TurboTax customers, were affected by an IRS processing error that delayed payments. 

We are happy to share that TurboTax customers who were affected by this error should begin seeing deposits into their accounts as soon as January 8, 2021.

This update may not be reflected in the Get My Payment tool at the IRS due to the focus on efforts to distribute the payments. 

These payments will be distributed to the account listed for your federal refund on your 2019 tax return.  If you did not have a refund in 2019, did not receive your 2019 refund via direct deposit, or did not file a return, the IRS may not have your direct deposit information and you should expect to either receive a check or to claim the payment on your 2020 tax return.

If you do not see a payment either in your bank account or your mailbox by January 15, 2021 you should claim your payment via the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return.  Please hold off filing returns until after this date to ensure that you are preparing the most accurate return possible.

If you should need to claim the credit on your tax return, you are encouraged to file early (but after January 15) to receive these funds as quickly as possible.  In TurboTax, you will enter information about the credit near the end of the interview in the Final Review section of the program. 

More information about the payments and any additional updates can be found at the following links:

IRS Updates on the Second Stimulus

IRS Statement about Second Economic Impact Payments

Why Haven't I Received My Second Stimulus Check?

TurboTax updates on the second stimulus

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

62 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Millions of Americans, including some TurboTax customers, were affected by an IRS processing error that delayed payments. 

We are happy to share that TurboTax customers who were affected by this error should begin seeing deposits into their accounts as soon as January 8, 2021.

This update may not be reflected in the Get My Payment tool at the IRS due to the focus on efforts to distribute the payments. 

These payments will be distributed to the account listed for your federal refund on your 2019 tax return.  If you did not have a refund in 2019, did not receive your 2019 refund via direct deposit, or did not file a return, the IRS may not have your direct deposit information and you should expect to either receive a check or to claim the payment on your 2020 tax return.

If you do not see a payment either in your bank account or your mailbox by January 15, 2021 you should claim your payment via the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return.  Please hold off filing returns until after this date to ensure that you are preparing the most accurate return possible.

If you should need to claim the credit on your tax return, you are encouraged to file early (but after January 15) to receive these funds as quickly as possible.  In TurboTax, you will enter information about the credit near the end of the interview in the Final Review section of the program. 

More information about the payments and any additional updates can be found at the following links:

IRS Updates on the Second Stimulus

IRS Statement about Second Economic Impact Payments

Why Haven't I Received My Second Stimulus Check?

TurboTax updates on the second stimulus

I appreciate the response.  Like many others I received the blanket email that issues are being worked finally.  Which is all I was pleading to see happen.  We haven't received ours just yet but it is too early to worry about that now.  Thank you for your time.

We are in a similar situation and have similar sentiments regarding this issue.

My family received our payment late, on January 8. However, it is half what my family of three expected -- $900.  It should have been $1800.

According to my research, there were to be no offsets or other reductions to the second stimulus payments, regardless of well anything. 

So, TurboTax, where's the rest of our money?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I can't explain why the IRS did not send you the full amount of the stimulus.  However, you can make an adjustment on your 2020 tax return for stimulus payments you qualify for, but have not received. 

To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Enter the information in your return.
  2. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to.  This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

@richfieldmall

So this was fixed so why did I only receive half of my stimulus. My stimulus is $1800.00 dollars and I am not over any thresholds and rate the entire stimulus amount for my family.  Why did I only receive half of that as a deposit today from what appears to be from a turbo tax bank? Please look into this and let us all know because I am sure I’m not the only one with this issue. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

@ARealPatriot

TurboTax does not issue the payments, they all come directly from the IRS. 

This payment was to be $600, or $1200 for married couples filing jointly.  Each child who was 16 or younger and claimed on the tax return in 2019 should add an additional $600. The determination of the amount is up to the IRS. 

There have been scattered reports of people not receiving funds for their dependents, though the IRS has not reported any widespread issue with this.  The IRS is not making adjustments to payments.  All taxpayers who received less than they believe they should have, will file for additional amounts when submitting their 2020 tax return. 

We figured it out! My wife just noticed that even though my wife and I filed jointly using turbo tax apparently the IRS mailed her a separate check for the other half amount. So have your family member check their status status at the IRS payment website, many people may be in the same situation. 

Have your spouse check their status. My wife just did and noticed that even though my wife and I filed jointly using turbo tax apparently the IRS mailed her a separate check for the other half amount. So have your family member check their status status at the IRS payment website. You may have the same situation and the other half is coming in a check. 

Have your spouse check their own status for the second stimulus using their information. My wife just noticed that even though my wife and I filed jointly using turbo tax apparently the IRS mailed her a separate check for the other half amount. So have your family members check their status status at the IRS payment website. You may have the same situation and your spouse may be getting a check. 

I've not gotten an email

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why.  I understand that times are difficult and I want to assure you that I want to do all that I can to help get you the information you need.  To read the content of the email, please click here:

Email about the stimulus updates

Also, to check the status of your stimulus payment, please visit the IRS Get My Payment tool.  

And to verify eligibility and other ways to check your payments, click here:  How can I check on my second stimulus payment

@Mikantor

This line of it not coming from the IRS is not sitting well with me. Now that it’s been deposited the name on the bank record is *not* the irs but rather intuit.  Just accept some role in this and stop pointing fingers.  Taking responsibility for mistakes is ok. 

The IRS website tells me I'm not getting one. Everything from Intuit says to ignore that message, that I will be getting the stimulas. Who do I believe? If I don't get the payment by the cutoff date, Intuit has lost a customer!!! 

@Mikantor wrote:

The IRS website tells me I'm not getting one. Everything from Intuit says to ignore that message, that I will be getting the stimulas. Who do I believe? If I don't get the payment by the cutoff date, Intuit has lost a customer!!! 

If you used the Refund Processing Service to have the TurboTax account fees paid from your federal tax refund, then see the information on this SBTPG website - https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

If you do not receive any other stimulus payments by January 15, 2021, then the stimulus payment for which you are eligible to receive will be entered on your 2020 federal tax return as a tax credit on Form 1040 Line 30.

The TurboTax program will ask about stimulus payments in the Federal Review section of the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies