turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Still Being Process After 3 Weeks and No Stimulus Check

I electronically filed on Feb. 29 and my return was accepted a day later, but I haven't received my refund and it's past 21 days. IRS.GOV refund status says my refund is "still being reviewed," so it's not showing approved. I called the help number but there's currently no live help and the automated responder doesn't provide any helpful information.

I also haven't received my stimulus check though I filed electronically through Turbo Tax in 2018 and 2019, so they should have my banking information on file. The Get My Payment tool says "We cannot determine your eligibility at this time."

Has anyone in this situation found a way to resolve this problem? It feels like there's nothing I can do and no way to get additional information. It's pretty frustrating that I paid Turbo Tax and I'm running into these problems with no help offered from Turbo Tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

77 Replies

I filed mine efile and got the acceptance right away on 3/17.  I do not have my refund and the tax status site says still processing and it is now 4/20/2020 and no way to reach IRS.  I did get the stimulus check on 4/13 which makes this even more frustrating.  It is like the refund is being held hostage for some reason and not way to find out anything.   sigh.....

BMA1
Level 3

I have had pretty much the same problem.  I electronically filed our return and it was accepted on February 27th.  It sat with the status bar "waiting for approval" for 14 days and then the status bar disappeared and it went to a note saying it is being processed and a refund date will be provided when they have one.  It has been sitting that way since mid-March.  I don't think they are updating their Refund Status site.  We did get our stimulus check; but they based it on our 2018 return (where I made more money) so we didn't qualify for the full relief amount (we would have had they used our 2019 tax return that they are still reviewing) - So...that kind of sucks.  I guess though that I should be happy we received anything at all.  I do wonder why they are not processing federal refunds (or at least MINE) right now :(

I am SURE this has to do with the many "critical updates" that Turbo Tax has had this year and me being organized enough to file early.  And you are right...Turbo Tax has not been helpful in this instance.  Very disappointing as I have used their software for many years with no problem at all and this year when the refund would have come in handy it is being held up.

Unfortunately, I owed in 2018, so the IRS doesn't have my banking information. I am receiving a refund from 2019, however, and should receive the full stimulus if Turbo Tax has given the IRS my banking info. No joy yet tho...so either Turbo Tax needs to give them my banking info or the IRS needs to process my refund so that I can also get my stimulus. 

I'm worried that this review process might take months and then I'll never see the stimulus.

caitjc

I am having the same issue. Filed on 3/17, return was accepted the next day. The status bars were showing for about a week, then disappeared, and now I only see the still processing message. My mom and I worked at the same employer, and she filed a week after I did. She already received her return and her stimulus, which is a bit frustrating. I did not get my stimulus check, but I also did not file in 2018 (neither did my mom, though) because I didn't make much money that year. Since I've already filed a return, I can't even use the simple return portal for lower earnings, so now I'm just stuck waiting for the IRS to approve my return. It's beyond ridiculous that you cannot contact anyone about these types of issues. The IRS has not sent me a letter, so I have no idea if my return was pulled for review or if something went wrong, but I'm assuming it would have been rejected if anything was wrong. At this point, who knows?

I have also filled my taxes 3/10 and its way past the month, i tried contacting the irs& the turbo team and no help what so every. I dont care about my stimulus check even if i get one but i did pay to get my state and federal taxes done, so its frustrating i have no help and no answers from either team... 

The slow processing this year has absolutely nothing to do with the TurboTax updates which normally occur in the beginning of every tax year. It has everything to do with the fact that the IRS was taxed withe devising the means to execute the delivery of the stimulus payments while in the midst of processing 2019 tax returns.  They are, understandably, overwhelmed and very short of staff.

BMA1
Level 3

My understanding is that if the IRS doesn't have your direct deposit information they will be issuing paper checks starting on April 24th.  So hopefully you will get your check sooner rather than later 🙂

BMA1
Level 3

I get that they are overwhelmed with the Covid checks, but I filed mine before they even started that.  I really do think, in my case at least, that Turbo Tax updates had something to do with it ONLY because when I filed my taxes they still asked if I had health insurance (something that does not matter this year...unless you have Obama Care) and when I went back to see what could be holding my refund up in the Turbo Tax program, that question was replaced with "Did you receive a 1095A".  Apparently if you did not answer that question the program (Turbo Tax) said that it could hold up your return from being processed.  That is the only reason I think I am having the problem...though when I did reach a Turbo Tax representative they said they didn't think that was the case.....and they also said, "If you get audited...so be it".  That kind of threw me off...and annoyed me as well.  Plus...the program mentioned that these were "critical updates" on the Turbo Tax package.

Im kind of in the same boat. I used turbo march 15 filed my 2019 and received my federal refund within a couple days. It was a shock because I only paid taxes 4 months working at a factory and made 4,700.00 my federal refund was 504. State 85.00 still havent received it. But my concern is my stimulus. And more than anything Im hoping that the direct deposit info I put in just recently where i received my federal return will be the same as my stimulus.  If for whatever reason it goes to the bank I got my checks from work on then im really screwed bc of 1k worth of of overdraft fee . Anyways. When i check my payment  on the irs site it still says under review. Meanwhile all my friends have gotten theirs.

@zhunterwhite -  most banks are NOT garnishing the stimulus if you are overdrawn.  There is a lot of government pressure not to do so. 

Check the IRS website and update your bank information if necessary.

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

I e-filed my returns 2/16/20, accepted the following day. I received my State refund 3/21 and I’ve received the Stimulus payment 4/13.  My federal return status says “still processing”... I filed 1040EZ, single, no dependents, one W-2, well before the Covid crisis struck. I recently received a letter stating they needed an additional 60 days to review my return. No explanation, no dates, don’t call! After that, I will either get a refund, partial refund or no refund...I made $8,442 last year!

I am in the exact same position. Except I filed mine even earlier than you did. My federal return was accepted on Jan. 29th....I already got my state return but both portals for the stimulus and federal refund just have the same messages as you. I am at a loss to know what to do since there is no one to call.

Very disappointed with turbo tax. They ask you to pay all the unnecessary fees and justify it by telling you they will be with you every step of the way! With everything going on in todays world I have questions. As I'm sure most people do. I'm in the same situation my return has said accepted for 18 days however not approved. Turbo tax says it should say approved after 2 days! This is the downside of not filing at somewhere like h&r block there is a physical human to answer your questions. They need to open up some type of hot line of something. Cant get through to anyone its extremely, extremely frusterating beyond belief. We need help. We pay you money. Stop false advertising and soliciting that we will have 24/7 assistance if needed if we pay this and that. Before you know it your down an extra 200$ on your return cause of these people and it's a ghost land. No one to answer or help you. Please change this, PLEASE!!

Sincerely,

A hardworking american citizen !!!! 

Hazleyz72
Returning Member

I have been having the exact same issue. What I dis find out is that, the IRS had put a temporary hold on processing tax returns and focused on getting the stimulus checks out. Now I'm not 100% for sure about this, but what I was reading on the IRS website is that as of April 15 they will be starting back up with the processing of tax returns. It's going to take time because they do not have many workers doing the processing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies